Saturday

Apologies for the lack of garden photos today but it was too wet and windy to take any yesterday. It was also rather chilly and I spent a good part of my day snuggled on the sofa with a warm blanket and mugs of hot coffee.

M was here for a couple of hours, weeding all the beds and pots and generally tidying up the patio. The new roses have had a growth spurt so the first line of wires have been fitted to support them, and we agreed that the two existing roses (the white one and the one with an identity crisis) will benefit from being cut right back once they finish flowering and then train the new growth along wires. We had a quick chat about possibilities for filling the gaps next year - that's gaps in terms of space to plant something else and gaps as the seasons progress where more interest is needed at certain times - and I have a list of M's suggestions to look through and see what I like. We also agreed that the work to clean and re-grout the patio will be left until next year once the bulbs have finished and before the annuals are potted up. 

After the nutrition class I made some more progress on the decluttering. There are some things which I know have some value but I had no idea how much to advertise them for or, if I decided to sell to a dealer, who or where to sell them. So I spent some time on the laptop researching the items and I'm glad I did. This may have started as an exercise in procrastination rather than getting on and doing some actual decluttering but I had a huge smile on my face at the possibilities by the time I finished. I've found several companies that will buy the big studio spotlights and will provide quotes if you send photos, so that's my back up plan. The nearest company is a 2 hour drive away so it would have to be a good price to merit that sort of journey and I think they are too heavy to make postage a viable option for the amount that one of these companies will pay, although I will research that. I did check eBay to see whether they sell well, and was delighted to find that they make a very good price - at least £200 per spotlight plus postage nearing £60 per item - so I think I will try to sell them myself. At those sort of prices it has to be worth the effort. There's also some other things that have to go and I've also found a company that may buy them but more research is needed first. So today I'll move it all to the dining room, give it all a good clean and make a start on taking the photos.

It's the first day of August tomorrow and I am taking part in a month long challenge with Bless to declutter at least one item every day during the month, so 31 items in total. Anyone else interested in joining us?

Comments

  1. It was dreadful weather yesterday and unfortunately I had to go out in it and would have preferred to snuggle on the sofa. Sounds like a plan to sell items yourself and cut out the middleman who of course would want to make a good profit too. I can't summon up the energy to declutter I'm afraid and have a busy month of appointments in August, well that's my excuse anyway :) Good luck with the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear you had to venture out in the rain yesterday. That was no fun if it was as bad as it was here so hope you soon warmed up when you got home.

      I feel more confident about trying to sell this group of items myself now that I've found some written descriptions and an indication of their values online.

      Thanks re the challenge.

      Delete
  2. Yesterday wasn't so bad here with some patches of sunshine but today hasn't started off well - it's chilly and cloudy and my heating keeps clicking on (it's controlled by a whizz thermostat). I have to admit, I just let it.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's much the same here today though it should brighten up this afternoon. I haven't resorted to letting the heating stay on yet but I am wearing a pair of thick socks to keep my feet warm!

      Delete
  3. I will join you! I am going to keep a list of each item every day. I am competitive,yes, even with myself! The list will make me do it! The last time I did this I misread the task and donated an item as per each date eg 28 items on the 28! I gave away all my necklaces and earrings, beads etc. I have since bought many necklaces from charity shops to replace them. I look forward to decluttering with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to have you joining in with us Carole. I've done one of those by date but found it really hard by the end of the month. This one should be easier, though I am hoping to declutter a lot more than the 31 items by the end of the month.

      Good luck!

      Delete
  4. It's really cold and rainy here. We've had no more than three sunny days this month. Let's hope the weather improves in August...

    I love the idea of decluttering an item every day, I'll try to do it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say the weather can't get any worse but actually it can, so let's hope you're right and August brings to good weather.

      Yay to joining us on the decluttering challenge. Good luck.

      Delete
  5. I still have a great deal of decluttering to do, I would love to join, perhaps someone can send me a link? I couldn't see anything on Bless's blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great that you're joining us Joy. I don't know that there will actually be an official link. It's just an informal challenge.

      The challenge is to declutter 31 items during August. That can be one item a day or do all 31 in one go, it's up to you.

      Delete
  6. Sorry the weather was so cold and rainy! We had some clouds the other day and I hoped it might rain, but, the rain fell in other areas, not in my area. I was rather disappointed, as you can imagine! Sounds like you and M have made some good plans for your garden. :)

    Sounds like your research on the potential value of your items to be decluttered was well worth your time! I hope you are able to sell them and get some money to fund your new camera you had mentioned wanting, earlier. :)

    Thank you for issuing the decluttering challenge in August. I need it to get me out of this stupor I've been in where decluttering is concerned! :D I'm happy to see that several of your readers are also joining. I'll be doing a post on my blog, today, and hope there will be a few others who'd like to join in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the rain as I'm choosing to stay at home until I'm sure I'm Covid free following my theatre trip, but don't like the cooler temperature that comes with it. I'm back to wearing socks and cardigan to avoid putting the heating back on this early in the year.

      I'm now looking for taller plants to fill out the bigger bed but I very much doubt that I'll buy any new plants until next year.

      I was surprised at how much money the spotlights sell for so if I can realise that amount I will have a good pot of money for when I feel it is safe to go away for a holiday. The new camera will be financed from the sale of the old camera equipment, and I must chase the companies for their quotes.
      I need the challenge with regards to the decluttering. Like you, I'm not including things that I recycle and also won't include the things I have already advertised or asked for quotes. The challenge for me is to find at least 31 more items to declutter.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts