Thursday

In the garden ...


I couldn't get through to the skirt pattern company so rather than wait (because I don't have much patience!) I reprinted, using the revised pattern download. This meant I had a thoroughly enjoyable morning playing with paper and glue. I didn't have as much time as I thought because I'd forgotten about the nutrition club, but I now have a recognisable pattern and am ready to go. It's probably just as well to let the glue dry properly before I place the pattern anywhere near the fabric anyway - because I'd chatted for such a long time with J last Thursday I'd abandoned my other bits of shopping in Home Bargains and one of the things I needed was a decent glue stick, so I had to make do with a very old bottle of glue that had to be applied with a brush ... that was fun!

The afternoon spent on the family tree research produced some interesting results and has raised the question of a bigamous marriage! We seem to have had just about everything else - prison, workhouse, military distinction, actor, accidents, murder - so I suppose bigamy, if it proves to be correct, is just something else to add to the list. I'm carrying on with the research this afternoon.

This morning is set aside to cut out the skirt and check/adjust the tailor's dummy. It occurred to me that I will need to adjust it now that I've lost weight and gone down a dress size. It took me ages last time so getting that adjusted may be all I get done in the time available. The actual sewing won't take much time at all, it's all this faffing about to get started!

It's the Indian cookery class at lunchtime and today's recipe is Tadka Dal & Basmati Rice. I haven't checked the list of ingredients yet so I don't know if I have everything in stock for this, but if I do it'll be my Saturday night treat.

Apart from the usual piano and Italian practice sessions, I need to spend a bit of time tidying up in the garden. I don't know if M will be here tomorrow or not. I've explained the situation so am waiting on her response but there's only a few more new plants to be dealt with, which could easily wait for a rescheduled visit. 

Comments

  1. I got excited learning you have found a bigamous marriage in your family tree, me too! The husband of my 1st cousin left her with two young children and went to the USA to join his brothers and he fought in the American Civil war and died in Tennessee in 1865 but he'd married again in the USA in 1859 and had another child. My cousin remained in England and she remarried in 1859 stating she was a widow. I should write my own blog post about it really, this research is fascinating stuff isn't it. I hope all goes well with your skirt pattern and M gets in touch before her scheduled visit tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my great grandmother who states that she is a widow and remarried her long term lodger, but there is no record of any divorce and her husband, my great grandfather didn't die until 11 years after she remarried. I was thinking that this family line was a bit boring but this has certainly livened it up 😂

      M has replied and will be here tomorrow to at least deal with the new plants, so that's good news.

      Delete
  2. The faffing about does make for a better and product so well worth the time it takes. I'd love to get sewing again myself but I already have too many clothes.
    Hopefully, M will feel she can come as long as you stay inside and talk through the window at a good distance.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, good preparation really does make a difference and I will do it properly. It's all ground to a halt for now because my dressmaking shears are with my sister or my niece so I need to wait to get those back. I've asked them to sort out who has them and take them to be sharpened, so it'll be a couple of days. A bit frustrating but to be honest, I don't feel too well today so probably for the best. It's a bad case of hay fever I think, rather than the virus, but it's difficult to tell as the symptoms are similar!

      M is doing exactly that. I'll leave the side gate open for her and we will chat at a distance.

      Delete
  3. Your Fuchsias are gorgeous & wonderful photos of their delicate blooms. Do they draw in the humming birds? Sewing is certainly one of more prep than actual doing (sometimes). You certainly have an enjoyable sounding day planned out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have hummingbirds in the wild in the UK, so no. The bees like the fuchsias though.

      All the prep feels like starting up a new hobby which it isn't as I did a lot of sewing in the past. Once I've got everything sorted out the next garment will be much easier, I'm sure.

      I'm struggling to stay awake today and may have to resort to an afternoon nap, even if it means that I don't get everything done today ... there's always tomorrow!

      Delete
  4. I love the striking colours of the fuchsias. It has reminded me of the ones that grew in my parents' garden when I was a child. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them and they are one of the plants that stand out in my memories of childhood. I intend to have more varieties next year! xx

      Delete
  5. The fuchsias are gorgeous! I'm sorry to read that you are not feeling 100%, but, hope it is simply a bad attack of hay fever and not the virus. Good idea to get the test done, anyway, just to be sure. Glad that M will still be there to plant the new plants. Hope you feel well, soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm loving all of the fuchsias and am debated whether to do a series of photos of them to display in the hall. I think they'd look good on the white walls.

      It's much more convincing for hay fever today and I am feeling much better than I did yesterday, so all is good.

      M has finished for the day, so all the new plants are in, weeding done, and now just sit back and enjoy the beauty of it all ... plus the watering, of course!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts