Wednesday

Yesterday was good up to a point. I did the bits of cooking I needed to finish off, cleaned the fridge and sorted the garage freezer, and had my haircut as arranged ... all good so far. Then my phone pinged with a notification from the NHS Covid app to advise that I have been in contact with someone who has tested positive for Covid and that I have to self isolate until midnight on Sunday! This means that the 'contact' happened on Thursday when I met J for coffee and then brought the fabric. 

I've read the advice and I don't need to test but if I do want a test it can't be a lateral flow test because I have been asked to self isolate. I don't understand the reason for this but as I don't want to go to a test centre and as I have no symptoms I won't worry about a test for now. As a precaution I've phoned or texted the people I have seen (socially distanced) since Thursday, which thankfully only amounts to four people. I still have to contact M about Friday.

I feel fine and have no worrying symptoms, so I just have to amuse myself at home for the rest of this week. There's plenty of food and daily meds so I have everything I need, and my sister is aware of the situation which means I have someone I can call on for help if needs be. 

I've decided that this means I can indulge myself and forget about the decluttering for the time being. It's not entirely lazy-itis - there is a practical reason for this as I don't want to drag things out of boxes when I can't get rid of them straight away. That's my excuse anyway and you have to find the positive in any situation don't you?

So this morning I have the ideal opportunity to polish up my sewing skills and get started on my skirt. First thing is to contact the company to find out what changed in the revised download and amend/reprint the pattern as necessary. Hopefully that will be straightforward and I'll be able to get the pieces cut out as well. 

I'm devoting this afternoon to family tree research. I can see that several new hints have been generated by the Ancestry software, all for the branch of the family I am focusing on, so I am hopeful that I'll be able to break through the brick wall and start joining the dots ... fingers crossed anyway!

Comments

  1. What a nuisance for you. You can understand why people are taking the app off their phone, can't you? Is it just that you don't have any lateral flow tests at home to use? Could you ask a friend to get a box for you?

    I hope you get the skirt thing sorted. I'm looking forward to the photo. :-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After the initial shock, I'm okay with it. I don't have any symptoms and I know that J is negative as she tests regularly because of her own family commitments and she's the only person I spent any length of time with.

      The track and trace is doing what it was designed for so I'm happy to know there is a risk of infection as now I won't unknowingly pass it on to my family and friends if it should turn out that I have picked up the virus.

      According to the government website it has to be a PCR test as I have been told to self isolate. My limited understanding is that PCR tests are returned to a lab and are seen as being more accurate than the lateral flow test.

      There will be photos, don't worry! I don't know how far I'll get today as I forgot about the nutrition club this morning.

      Delete
  2. That is a nuisance but try not to worry about it and hopefully you won't develop any symptoms. I don't have a smart phone and I'm rather glad about that now but I don't suppose that's the right attitude to have. Good luck with your family tree research and getting started on your skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not worried. I think it's highly unlikely that I have caught the virus from any interactions I had on that Thursday. I think it's much more likely that my phone registered the fact that I was near whoever the 'contact' is, i.e. someone in the supermarket or in the fabric shop rather than anyone I spent any time with. I wore a mask all the time except when seated in the café with J and I'm not expecting to develop any symptoms at all.

      It's going to be a fun day. I'm especially looking forward to the research as the new hints all relate to the one person I've had difficultly finding information about.

      Delete
  3. It's great to see you turn this time into a positive time, enjoy your sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think the need to self isolate is now a feature of life but at least I am in the fortunate position of being retired so have no worries about employment or finances. Plans have had to be changed but I am lucky in that I have plenty of interests and can keep myself amused. I'm looking forward to getting back into sewing.

      Delete
  4. Hi there - I am usually a lurker on your lovely blog Just wanted to say that if you want to get tested you can get a PCR test sent to you at home: https://www.gov.uk/get-coronavirus-test Hope that helps. Nicola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicola. This is helpful and I think I will probably order a test for peace of mind.

      Delete
  5. Silver linings & all ... it's good that your trace & contact system works! I don't think we have such a system here as we continually see notices on TV only "if you have been to ____ then you need to test immediately & isolate." Not very effective. Thankfully you have been cautious in your social distancing, so you know exactly who & where. So cleaning out the freezers was a blessing in disguise as you don't have to worry about food & you have lots to amuse yourself. Sending lots of positive vibes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary-Lou. I'm not that convinced on the effectiveness of our Track and Trace but at least we do have one. Your version seems to be left to chance!

      I'm lucky in that I just have to amuse myself for the rest of the week at home, something I find easy to do as I'm happy in my own company. I have friends who'd be climbing the walls at the end of a week of isolation so goodness knows how they will cope if they are ordered to self isolate!

      Delete
  6. I like your positive attitude about this whole situation and the decision to indulge yourself and not declutter! At least you have a tracking system to notify you! I don't know what we have over here! Not even the TV notifications that Mary-Lou mentioned! As long as you don't feel any symptoms, you should be fine, I think; you've had both your vaccine doses and you have been wearing a mask whenever you've been out and about. I see now why you will not be sharing your curry puffs with your sister. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although the initial notification was a shock the tracking system has addressed the aspect of the virus that I am most concerned about, i.e. transmission from a stranger. In that respect it's met it's brief and I am able in turn to protect my family and friends by self isolating. I'd feel much less confident about being in public places if there was no tracking system. I wonder why you don't have anything in place.

      I'm not expecting to have caught it but today I am suffering from what I think is hay fever but which has the same symptoms as the virus in someone who is fully vaccinated so I am going to request a test just for peace of mind.

      I only made a small batch of the curry puffs to see if we liked them ... I do ... so I have eaten a couple, have some in the fridge for tomorrow, and frozen the rest.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts