Tuesday

 In the garden ... 

It's definitely orange and it's days are numbered - I will try to persuade my sister that she wants it! It's also out of focus, sorry.


I spent most of yesterday morning in the kitchen, singing along with the radio while I cooked up all the food that wouldn't fit it the garage freezer and so had defrosted in the fridge. There are now portions of shepherd's pie, chilli, chicken casserole, and fish bake ready to eat with a portion of each in the fridge for this week and the rest have been frozen.  I finished defrosting the kitchen freezer and that has now been refilled, and I've created a new inventory of freezer content - something I always intend to stay on top of but often forget to update! I still need to reorganise the garage freezer, which I will do today and then carry on cleaning the kitchen, clearing out the fridge and giving it a good clean. 

I have one defrosted pack of ready made pastry to use up today. I don't know why I bought it as, if I want pastry I usually make my own from scratch, but it's there and needs to be used up so am making some spicy chicken puffs and possibly some cheese and bacon turnovers as well.

I didn't venture too far yesterday afternoon because of the rain but did get to chat with my neighbours when I moved the green bin (garden waste) to the front of the house ready for emptying today. They are as unimpressed with the end of lockdown restrictions as I am! 

G will be here this afternoon to cut my hair and once she's made me look human again I may go out for a drive round. I feel the need for a change of scenery.

My 'No TV' week has started well. I want to get back to only turning the TV on if there is a programme I really want to watch, and then switching it off again as soon as the programme is finished. I've been bored by recent TV offerings and have resorted to half watching programmes that I'm really not interested in so this week is a bit of an experiment to see how I choose to fill my time if I don't watch TV. Last night I played the piano, wrote a letter to a friend, and read for a while before having an early night. 

Comments

  1. What a shame for the poppy and I hope your sister gives it a good home :) I like your No TV plan it's awful isn't it, repeats of repeats all the time. You've done well with the meal preparations and sorting your freezers. It seems our end of lockdown restrictions are going to be different here in Wales, our First Minister has been much more cautious throughout the pandemic I have to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Wales, Scotland and N.Ireland have taken a much more sensible and cautious approach every time. For all that Boris said about being led by the scientists, he is choosing to ignore their advice this time.

      My sister already has some poppies so these two will fit in well with her plans. I'm sure she'll want them ... orange isn't a colour I like so as soon as she sees the colour she will know why she's getting them!

      Sorting the freezers and the bulk cooking have eaten into the time set aside for the decluttering I'd decided on so that is unlikely to get finished this week, but that's not the end of the world. I just pleased that none of the food had to be thrown out.

      Delete
  2. I hear you about not liking orange ... that's too bad the label was incorrect on this poppy. Your freezer clear out sounds like it has resulted in some fun cooking times & some delicious meals coming up. I have been giving myself a good talking to these last few days; the one about wanting different results so I need to change the behaviour ... I've tried the friendly advice but "myself" doesn't seem to be paying attention, time for some tough talk!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a disappointment but it is VERY orange and sticks out like a sore thumb. I'll try again for a red one next year.

      Yes the freezer incident has worked out well and now the meal plans definitely needs a tweak to accommodate the additional meals and the fact that there is no longer any uncooked chicken or lamb in the freezer.

      I'm trying to motivate myself but am increasingly aware just how much this last lockdown has affected me. I want to move towards a positive atmosphere at home because I think it'll be a while yet before it feels safe to do too much in the company of large groups of people.

      Delete
  3. Oh, I hope your sister will want to give a home to that lovely poppy!

    Well done on all the meal preparation and bulk cooking! You might not have planned it quite this way, but, now, you have precooked future meals ready for when you want them!

    Sounds like you found plenty of things to do without watching TV. I usually like to knit, etc. when I watch TV. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She doesn't want it! They don't have room and she's already bought too many poppies already - I'm not entirely sure how it is possible to have too many poppies, but that's what she said! I've asked nieces and nephews next and am waiting on responses.

      I would have had to do the bulk cooking in a couple of weeks time anyway if I want to continue with a good variety of meal choices, so this has just made me more prepared than usual ... a good situation to be in.

      I'm lucky to have plenty of interests so I know I won't be bored if I don't watch TV. I'm not good enough at knitting to watch TV at the same time ... I'd lose all the stitches or mess up the pattern or something 😂

      Delete
  4. I used to always make my own pastry, but when one of my sons had a vegan spell a few years back I started buying the ready to roll, and since then I've stuck with it. So much easier and less messy! Hardly put the TV on these days, mostly watch stuff that we recorded earlier, although we did watch all the England games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't eat pastry that often but every now and then I fancy some and like to make my own. I like the whole process and of course love the end result filled with all gooey stuff!

      I've enjoyed myself so much more without TV this week so will find it easy to be selective about what I watch from now on. Definitely no football though 😂

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts