Thursday

Let's start with the good news! My Covid PCR test result came through yesterday and it's negative. It's what I was expecting, but it's still good to have it confirmed. 

Yesterday was so hot! I decided against a walk during the day and went for a night-time one with my neighbour instead. We set out about 10:30pm when it was a bit cooler and just wandered around the village, putting the world to rights and generally having a good chat. It made a change and I enjoyed her company so hopefully we'll do it again some time.

I spent most of the afternoon with L hearing all about her camping trip ... she made me laugh so much it hurt! We're both watching our weight ... supposedly ... but gave in to temptation and had a brownie. In my defense I didn't eat much of mine; it looked good but was too rich and I knew I'd be ill if I ate all of it so I don't think it's done too much damage to my efforts to lose weight.


We didn't arrive until after the lunchtime rush so it wasn't too busy and we were lucky enough to get a table in the shade. We stayed chatting for about three hours, so it was a pleasant afternoon in the company of a good friend. We've tentatively arranged other things to do - L has a voucher for afternoon tea for two but she can't remember where it is (!), and next time, hopefully next week, we will try a different venue and meet at a farm café where there is plenty of shaded outdoor seating. 

The supermarket delivery arrived at 9pm and there were no substitutions so there is now a good supply of fresh fruit and veg to keep me going.

I had a lovely but emotional text conversation with my nephew last night, the one I gave all of my late partner's tools to. Out of the blue he send me a photo of one of the tools and said it is something he uses every day and always thinks of Ced when he uses it, which was so special to hear and Ced would have been over the moon about it. He loved both of my nephews dearly and was as proud of them as if they were his own sons. I won't share all of the conversation but it was wonderful to know he hasn't been forgotten by others and I felt quite tearful by the end of it, but in a good way.

Today, I'd like to visit the lavender farm this morning but will phone before driving over in case they have already started harvesting the crop ... a visit can wait for cooler days if they have because I won't be able to take the photo I have planned in my mind!  It's the Indian cookery class after lunch ... I think we're cooking the Bengali Dal Pakoras today. 

Comments

  1. It sounds like a great day you have planned today and what a lovely phone call. I know what you mean about teary in a good way - it's a very healing thing, positive rather than negative.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was out of the blue so not prompted by anything either of us had said or done, which made it even more special. And I agree, those sort of emotions are positive and healing. xx

      Delete
  2. That sounds like a wonderful day and your plans for today sound good too, I hope your lavender farm visit can go ahead. Your photo of the cake and elderflower drink has made my mouth water :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did go to the lavender farm so there will be a couple of photos in tomorrow's post.

      The cake was too rich for me but the elderflower drink went down a treat 😊

      Delete
  3. So happy to hear your Covid test results came out negative! Yay! Ooh, that brownie looks delicious! You did well with portion control; if it had been me, I would have eaten the whole thing! How nice of your nephew to text you to let you know that he uses the tools you gave him and thinks of Ced every time he does so. I can imagine just how emotional that must have made you feel.

    Sounds like you have some nice plans for today. Hope you are able to visit the lavender farm. It is rather warm over here; today's high was 97F and it was rather humid, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think I'd contracted the virus but it was still a relief to have it confirmed in writing.

      I'm not a great lover of brownies but we arrived quite late so there wasn't much choice. I should have known better ... it wasn't self control, I knew I'd be I'll if I'd eaten all of it!

      It was lovely of him to let me know how much he thinks about Ced, but that's the wonderful sort of man he is.

      Yes, I made it to the lavender farm today. It was busy, so a quick visit but I took the photos I wanted and I have the added pleasure of doing another 'normal' thing. It only reached about 28°C today but that's too hot for me. I couldn't live in LA, I don't know how you cope.

      Delete
  4. What a rich day you enjoyed yesterday. It is nice to know that Ced's tools are used & appreciated & go on creating new memories. Yeah to a negative test result. That brownie looks very rich & very tempting! Elderflower water, I've never tried but I imagine quite refreshing & just the name speaks summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good day all things considered.

      Elderflower drinks are delightful. I can definitely recommend them.

      Delete
  5. That's really good news about the negative PCR test.

    Here COVID cases are rapidly increasing again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nil. I've been reading about the rising cases over there and I do hope you are able to stay safe and can continue teaching from home. The UK's cases are rising rapidly again but luckily the area I live in still has relatively few incidences compared to the rest of the country.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts