Friday

 In the garden ...


... the new rose, Eden, is fast becoming my favourite! The fuchsias are still full of flowers and the pomegranate is keen to flower but doesn't have much luck as it gets to this stage and then loses the battle with the winds. Two more plants arrived yesterday, a perennial sweet pea and an obedient plant (physostegia virginiana 'vivid').

I missed the Bollywood Dancing class yesterday which is a shame. I just forgot the time and, as it starts at noon, it's not a particularly good time for me to take part anyway but I'll try again next week as I'd like to at least have a go. I did watch the Indian cookery class though and may be a convert to okra (bhindi) ... only may at the moment but it looked absolutely delicious so I will have a go as soon as I can get hold of some okra. The thing I like about this class is that she also gives tips for when shopping, so we all now know how to test the okra for freshness. The dish is bhindi dopiaza so it's a dry dish rather than one with the sauce/gravy, and she also showed us how to make a simple and quick side dish to accompany it - she used carrots today  but it will work for most veg so it's a good addition to my recipe folder. Does anyone know which supermarkets sell fresh okra please? I know it's possible to get frozen but I'd prefer to use fresh if I can. 

I'm not having much luck getting out and about this week. I'm waiting in for another delivery this afternoon and this morning I have someone coming to look at some of the card making supplies and am waiting on another person to confirm what time she is coming to look at a selection of music theory books. 

Apart from that I'm hoping for a relatively easy day. I'll have to water the garden at some point and there is probably deadheading to do and then, after my usual piano and Italian daily practices, I'll be settling down with a new book - 'Death Comes To Bishops Wells: The Shire Mysteries 1' by Anna Legat which is set in my home county of Wiltshire. If I remember correctly, the setting of Bishops Wells is based on Devizes which is a town I know very well so will be looking to see if I recognise any of the locations in the book.

*************************

My August decluttering challenge:

  • 1st = a set of plastic measuring spoons (I never use them)
  • 2nd = a white shirt (band uniform that is now too big) 
  • 3rd = odd balls of wool (going to my sister, who can make use of them)
  • 4th = a map quiz book (completed and unlikely to want to do it again)
  • 5th = blue cardigan (big holes in both elbows so only fit for the bin!)
  • 6th = a pile of half completed puzzle books (going to my friend's sister)
  • 7th = large fruit bowl (I don't like it but K does, so it's going to her!)
  • 8th = a broken Filofax cover (only fit for the bin!)
  • 9th = unopened toiletries (unwanted gifts, so going to a friend)
  • 10th = 3 small terracotta indoor pots (gifting them to K)
  • 11th = old duvet set (to be donated)
  • 12th = 5 Pyrex divided containers (to be donated as I never use them)
  • 13th = two impossibly hard jigsaw puzzles (to be donated gifted to Joy)
  • 14th = books, garden fleeces & growing bags (gifted to Joy)
  • 15th = a box of carbon paper (gifting to E)
  • 16th = tin full of pencils and crayons (donated to a woman's refuge)
  • 17th = DVDs I never watch (gifting to E)
  • 18th = broken metal whisk (to be recycled)
  • 19th = brand new under sink waste bin (to be donated)
  • 20th = 2 pairs of specs (to the collection bin at the recycling yard)
  • 21st = winter coat (now too big, gifted to K)
  • 22nd = old makeup (only fit for the bin) 
  • 23rd = tatty tea towels (wanted by T for use in his garage!)
  • 24th = laddered tights (only fit for the bin)
  • 25th = socks that are more holes than sock! (only fit for the bin)
  • 26th = flash cards and rhythm cards (teaching resources going to C, the piano teacher)
  • 27th = 3 large and brand new white picture frames (will probably be sold, unless my sister wants them)

Comments

  1. I suspect your best bet would be an Asian food shop - do you have one local to you? I've never heard of it grown in this country but it might be worth looking up if you're interested.
    Your day sounds really pleasant.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion. The only alternative shops in town are the Polish and Eastern European ones serving the local Polish community. The nearest Asian shops are in Bath, about 13 miles away so not that convenient although may be worth it if there's no other options. My friend thinks Aldi may sell it so I'll try there first.

      Hope you have a good day too xx

      Delete
  2. Your flowers are beautiful, that is a gorgeous rose. Midday doesn't sound an ideal time for dancing but I do like to see Bollywood dancing and it will be fun to give it a go. Good luck with your sales today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's beautiful, isn't it. I have clay soil so it should be quite happy in my garden.

      I've set reminders on my phone so I won't miss it next week. I think Bollywood will be a fun way to exercise but I'm sure there will be YouTube videos to use if this class doesn't work out for me.

      Thanks, re the sales.

      Delete
  3. I grew Okra once - UGH! never again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, she said it is a marmite vegetable - you either love it or hate it! I tried it once in a restaurant, deep fried and just a slimy blob, but this recipe looked delicious so I will give it a chance.

      Delete
  4. The flowers are gorgeous! My favorite is the fuchsia! I picked another okra from my garden, today! But, it is only one and I don't think it would be that fresh if I try to send it to you! :D Too bad you missed the Bollywood dancing class, yesterday, but, hope you'll be able to try it out next week. Hope you have a lovely day and enjoy reading your book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the fuchsias too. They never fail to make me smile!

      I've since checked for a local supplier and it seems most supermarkets now sell it so I will add it to my next delivery. Thanks for the offer of yours but I dread to think what condition it'd be in by the time it arrived 😂

      I was annoyed with myself for missing the Bollywood but there's always next week.

      I've sold the card making stuff and am just about to start my piano practice. Then I can start on my book. ☺️

      Delete
  5. The book sounds interesting, please may I borrow? x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's on my Kindle. If you're happy to read it on that you can borrow it when I've finished reading it. xx

      Delete
  6. Pretty rose. Okra is a fairly common fresh veg in our stores but that doesn't help you (col). Yeah to getting the card making stuff sold. Always appreciate a book recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That rose will make a huge different to the view of the bottom of the garden. I'm hoping it's a speedy grower so that it shines next year!

      I think I've sorted the okra supply - I've added some to my delivery for tomorrow night, so Sunday will be tasting day.

      I haven't read the book yet. I chose it because the author is local and her fictional village is based on one of my favourite towns.

      Delete
  7. Hi Eileen,
    So beautiful your flowers!
    I wish you a good weekend.
    Hugs,
    Ailime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ailime. I hope you have a great weekend too x

      Delete
  8. Your flowers are lovely, and I especially like the rose. I am going to search out the book. When I lived in England back in the late 70s to mid 80s, i mostly lived in London, but I spent some time in Devizes. We rented a small cottage, by a canal, that had a magnificent rose vine growing right up over the roof! I will always remember my time there very fondly. Best, Celie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a coincidence. Devizes is about 11 miles from my home and I used to teach in a couple of the schools there so got to know the town well. It's a lovely place!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts