Friday

I spent a good part of yesterday on the phone, mostly dealing with routine admin things, but also speaking to the Somerset Records Office in Taunton to follow up on the snippet of information I gleaned from my visit to the Wilts Record Office on Tuesday. They have promised to pass my enquiry to one of their archivists who will contact me on her return from holiday ... I can't remember whether they said that will be next week or the week after. 

I also received an email to confirm that in person choir practices will resume on Sept 6th but I don't know if I will be going, at least for now. The Covid arrangements will be left to our own discretion so I can wear a mask if I want to but it isn't compulsory and I think that there will be quite a few who won't bother. Also the arrangement of the seating means that there won't be any social distancing.  I'd want to wear a mask but that isn't a substitute for social distancing and the protection offered by masks is known to be more effective when everyone is wearing one. I also have doubts about whether there will be adequate ventilation in the room. We're not the only group using the  church buildings so we will also be sharing the communal areas and toilet facilities with two other big groups. I've decided it's not worth the risk and will wait a while. It's a decision which I'm okay with but I am surprised that my overriding feeling is one of frustration at the lax Covid arrangements rather than any disappointment at missing the practices. 

The Indian cookery was cancelled yesterday so I did get a bit of sorting done though not as much as I'd hoped. I'll continue with it next week. 

This morning I'm calling round to see Joy for coffee and a catch up, which I'm really looking forward to, and then I have a couple more phone calls to make. Both of these have the potential to get very involved and therefore time consuming so I'm not anticipating having time to carry on with the sorting and decluttering once I've fitted in essential activities such as Italian practice, piano practice, and the online nutrition class.

*************************

My August decluttering challenge:

  • 1st = a set of plastic measuring spoons (I never use them)
  • 2nd = a white shirt (band uniform that is now too big) 
  • 3rd = odd balls of wool (going to my sister, who can make use of them)
  • 4th = a map quiz book (completed and unlikely to want to do it again)
  • 5th = blue cardigan (big holes in both elbows so only fit for the bin!)
  • 6th = a pile of half completed puzzle books (going to my friend's sister)
  • 7th = large fruit bowl (I don't like it but K does, so it's going to her!)
  • 8th = a broken Filofax cover (only fit for the bin!)
  • 9th = unopened toiletries (unwanted gifts, so going to a friend)
  • 10th = 3 small terracotta indoor pots (gifting them to K)
  • 11th = old duvet set (to be donated)
  • 12th = 5 Pyrex divided containers (to be donated as I never use them)
  • 13th = two impossibly hard jigsaw puzzles (to be donated)

Comments

  1. I'm not sure how good choir practice would be if all were wearing face masks but I feel sure people won't bother if they're not compulsory. We were expected to wear face masks and were socially distanced at the puppy class I attended last week and I was happy with that arrangement. Enjoy your coffee and chat today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wondering how many people will actually want to return in September with the current number of Covid cases and the relaxed approach to the safety issues. Maybe there is a slim chance of online practices continuing. It wouldn't be easy wearing face masks when singing but not impossible and, if it reduces the risk, is in my opinion worth the discomfort. The arrangements for the puppy classes sound much better.

      Delete
  2. It is interesting to hear how different music groups are dealing with Covid. I agree with you that your choir's arrangements don't feel nearly safe enough. My drama group has asked everyone to sign to confirm that they have been double-vaccinated, or, if not, to provide a negative lateral flow test before every rehearsal. That's about all they can do and still it won't be failsafe. They had a big social last Sat and someone has since tested positive so everyone is now isolating, including one member who has had to cancel her 60th party this w/e as a result. G's choir has been practising outside over the past few months and the the conductor went to great lengths to find venues with some sort of canopy for wet weather, but even that will be more difficult as we enter the colder months.

    I'm biding my time on making any decision, hoping for the best, and not ruling anything out!

    PS. Interesting article I read yesterday:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/picture-shifting-vaccines-transmission-re-shaping-learn-live/?WT.mc_id=e_DM1477644&WT.tsrc=email&etype=Edi_Edi_New_Reg&utmsource=email&utm_medium=Edi_Edi_New_Reg20210812&utm_campaign=DM1477644

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your group's arrangements are so much better than ours but, as you say, they're not 100% so an element of risk is still there. Nothing guarantees 100% protection so everyone just has to judge how much of a risk they are prepared to take. Although so many people seem to be saying that life is back to normal, it isn't and probably never will be. I actually think there is worse still to come so I will continue to be cautious and assess every situation as the need arises. When does your drama group plan to start rehearsals?

      The article was interesting, thanks for the link.

      Delete
    2. Rehearsals restart next month. I sense that quite a few members may not yet have committed to the show as we have had several e-mails requesting that we notify our intentions "for planning purposes"! I wonder what will happen. The nature of what we do means that masks and distancing simply cannot work, when 40 people are singing, acting and dancing on stage, and, come show week, sharing cramped dressing rooms.

      The requirements sounded better a couple of weeks ago when they were announced, but, given that things are changing already, and even the double-vaccinated can get and transmit the virus, I wonder whether negative tests should be mandatory for everyone. I am so glad I am no longer on the committee and don't have to negotiate all this! If one person tests positive, will upcoming rehearsals have to be cancelled? Or do we follow legislation and say no need for the rest of the (vaccinated) cast to isolate, thereby putting members, especially vulnerable ones, at risk or placing the onus on them to make a potentially uncomfortable decision which they may feel inconveniences others?

      I think I am going to sit it out; there are too many variables. It was hard enough to sell a show pre-COVID so apart from the health side, I don't want to pay yet another year's sub only for the show to be cancelled at the 11th hour, the group to take a massive financial hit and the members get a stressful few months and nothing to show for it! However I can see that as a society we can't put everything on ice indefinitely so I understand why the committee are trying to move forward.

      Glad you asked?!

      Delete
    3. Haha, yes I am glad I asked!

      I too wonder how many of the choir members will actually feel ready to return to in person practices, particularly the vulnerable ones (health issues and due to age). We don't pay subs so there's no membership as such but we pay on the door when we do attend so for me, the financial side of things isn't an issue.

      It's difficult to see a way in which it can be made safe, and yours even more so, but at least your committee is making an effort on the safety front whereas mine is leaving it up to the individual.

      I agree that the organisations need to move forward and find a way of functioning in the current situation but for now I'll be watching from the sidelines.

      Delete
  3. I totally agree with you about taking great care. I am by no means convinced that we are past the worst yet and things could go down very quickly. I think your decision is wise, although how disappointing for you.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I'm not that disappointed. The return to in-person practices has been mentioned more than once and each time I've thought it was too soon so I was expecting that I'd decide to err on the side of caution and stay at home. I've received notification of an new online choir starting up on the Goldster site (where all my online classes are) so I have an alternative if necessary. 😊

      Delete
  4. Oh I don't think I like this wear a mask if you want attitude. Since the Delta Variant is as contagious as chickenpox (high), I still am playing the no mask, no me, no social distancing, I'm distancing. I am sure as the date gets closer you'll have a better feel of how You feel about attending. Let's hope that Joy has treats this time (lol). Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treats were offered but I declined ... because I seem to have found some willpower from somewhere!😉

      I don't blame you about the mask and social distancing thing. I've already decided that I won't be attending this side of Christmas, by which time I hope we'll have some idea of how the colder weather impacts on the number of cases.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you had a busy and productive day, yesterday, and have another full day planned for today, with coffee with your friend and more phone calls! In person choir practices sound a bit scary to me, especially if Covid precautions are left to the individual! I'd rather err on the side of caution and not participate! Hope you have a lovely weekend, Eileen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've decided that I won't be going to the choir practices in September. I've been notified of a new online choir which starts at the end of August so I will try that instead. The timing makes me think it was meant to be!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts