The Style Coach

Yesterday I took part in the Style Coach class on Goldster. I wasn't really sure what to expect but thought it was worth a try in the vague hope that this class will help me sort out my personal style, something I have really struggled with since putting on so much weight. I tuned in for the first class just to see what it was all about and I'm so glad I did as I think it will really help me. It's a 12 week course running every Monday and Wednesday for one hour each time, which is more than I was expecting but as it's only for 12 weeks I will make the effort to attend every session. I tend to be easily influenced by other people's suggestions and no longer have any real idea of my own 'style', so I'll use the guidance provided in this class to work out exactly what I want. 

The course will cover the following topics:
  • Planning
  • Mindset
  • Style Preference
  • In Depth Body Shape Advice
  • Colour
  • Capsule Wardrobes
  • Wardrobe Organisation and Editing
  • Shopping 
  • .... and so much more!!! 

We've been set our first challenge already which is to refrain from buying any new clothes, accessories and shoes for the next twelve weeks. I'd struggle if it was garden related items but won't have any problem if I have to avoid buying clothes as it's not my favourite activity. I've also decided that I won't declutter any more of my clothes until I have completed this course.

The bulk of the first session was taken up with setting a goal and relating each of these questions to that goal ... 
  • What do you want specifically? (state positively) 
  • Is this within your control? 
  • When do you want to achieve this by? 
  • Where do you want this? (what area of your life?) 
  • Why do you want this? 
  • What will it look/feel like when you have achieved it? 
  • What will happen if you achieve this? 
  • What won’t happen if you achieve this? 
  • What will happen if you don’t achieve this? 
  • What won’t happen if you don’t achieve this? 
  • What could stop you from achieving this? 
  • Do you have the resources to achieve this? (time, money etc) 
  • How will this affect other people in your life? 
  • Does this align with your values/beliefs?

By answering all of those questions the idea is that you should be able to see whether the goal you have set is really worth doing and also have a much clearer idea how you will benefit once you achieve it. Apparently you are three times more likely to achieve your goal if you write it down so here goes .... my goal is "to lose one stone by 31st December 2021". Two of the ladies I recognise from the nutrition classes have set the same goal and we've formed out own mini support group. I toyed with a goal of creating a capsule wardrobe but I've tried that before and failed miserably so I need to wait for the advice before thinking about that. With the weight loss, I know I can do it but I don't currently have the right focus so this will help me get back on track.

The final thing was to decide on a reward for when you achieve the goal you have set. I've decided that I will treat myself to a new jacket, style and colour to be decided.

*************************

My August decluttering challenge:

  • 1st = a set of plastic measuring spoons (I never use them)
  • 2nd = a white shirt (band uniform that is now too big) 
  • 3rd = odd balls of wool (going to my sister, who can make use of them)
  • 4th = a map quiz book (completed and unlikely to want to do it again)
  • 5th = blue cardigan (big holes in both elbows so only fit for the bin!)
  • 6th = a pile of half completed puzzle books (going to my friend's sister)
  • 7th = large fruit bowl (I don't like it but K does, so it's going to her!)
  • 8th = a broken Filofax cover (only fit for the bin!)
  • 9th = unopened toiletries (unwanted gifts, so going to a friend)
  • 10th = 3 small terracotta indoor pots (gifting them to K)
  • 11th = old duvet set (to be donated)
  • 12th = 5 Pyrex divided containers (to be donated as I never use them)
  • 13th = two impossibly hard jigsaw puzzles (to be donated gifted to Joy)
  • 14th = books, garden fleeces & growing bags (gifted to Joy)
  • 15th = a box of carbon paper (gifting to E)
  • 16th = tin full of pencils and crayons (donated to a woman's refuge)
  • 17th = DVDs I never watch (gifting to E)
  • 18th = broken metal whisk (to be recycled)
  • 19th = brand new under sink waste bin (to be donated)
  • 20th = 2 pairs of specs (to the collection bin at the recycling yard)
  • 21st = winter coat (now too big, gifted to K)
  • 22nd = old makeup (only fit for the bin) 
  • 23rd = tatty tea towels (wanted by T for use in his garage!)
  • 24th = laddered tights (only fit for the bin)

Comments

  1. I don't worry about style and just wear what I feel comfortable in. Obviously clothes look so much better if they fit well and I could do with losing some weight too. The support group is a great idea and so much easier to lose weight than going it alone. Sounds an interesting course but wouldn't be for me. A reward at the end sounds a good incentive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not at all interested in following fashion but I think everyone does have their own style. I'm just not happy with how I dress and it's more than just the weight issue, so this is an attempt to get a clear, or clearer, idea of how I want to dress now I'm retired. I have a wardrobe full of formal clothes but not much in the way of casual wear so I want to improve on that. A reward is always a good way of motivating myself ☺️

      Delete
  2. Sounds a brilliant course, I don't purchase many clothes these days, I wear what I already own, so my style is set, but like you mine has changed as I get older. My goal at this time is to not wear jeans all the time, I find them comfortable when out in the garden, and they are very tough, so often when I am at home they are my go to item to wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my clothes could do with being replaced - age, condition, poor fit, etc. - so I hope I pick up enough tips to feel confident to create a capsule wardrobe for myself at the end of this course. I don't currently wear trousers or jeans but I would love to so I need to lose enough weight to feel good about doing that.

      Delete
  3. Brilliant - thanks for sharing (& you're correct, I did enjoy this sharing of Style Coach). I tried to identify my style & preferences by creating a Pinterest board for style - I think with this guidelines I may re-start & re-focus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would! It's worth spending time on the questions when setting your goal - don't try to do them all in one go and think it's done - keep revisited and refining your answers.

      Glad it may be of some help. I think it's a useful framework to work with.

      Delete
  4. Hi Eileen,
    I still say that I admire you a lot, because you define your goals well and try to achieve your goals, which is very positive!
    I wish you success for the challenge you are about to begin.
    Hugs and good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words Ailime. I'm quite excited about starting a new challenge will has the potential to completely turn my life around 😊

      Delete
  5. This sounds like a wonderful course! Thank you for sharing the details. I don't think I have any personal style to speak of! I wouldn't have a hard time refraining from buying any clothes for 12 weeks or longer! However, I will join you in the goal of losing 1 stone by the end of December! I went to the doctor's today and got weighed, so that will be my starting weight! A good blood test report in December will be my reward! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this course is a case of the right thing at the right time. The course leader stressed how important clothes are in our lives, even for people who aren't followers of fashion, and once I sat down to think about it I understand what she means. I'm in the position where I have enough clothes but, for one reason or another, they are not right for the lifestyle I want moving forward.

      Thanks for joining me on the weight loss challenge. I texted friends and family last night to say that I am actively attempting to lose weight and would they please not buy me chocolates and biscuits, etc. I'm removing all sources of temptation!

      Good luck xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts