Tuesday

 In the garden ...


... the new Eden rose bud has opened and I love it! The other new rose is covered in lemon coloured buds but it'll be another day or two before they open fully.

Yesterday's Bank Holiday was really quiet. I pottered about for a bit at home, tuned into the Style Coach class for an hour,  and then settled down to read during the afternoon and in the evening watched the new series of Vera on catch up. I didn't realise until it was too late to do anything about it that the village of Imber had been open to the public all weekend, yesterday being the last day. I hadn't realised that the event I missed the previous weekend was the Imber Bus Day, when the Routemaster Buses ferry visitors to the village, and that this weekend was the full open weekend. Never mind, I was expecting to wait until Christmas so nothing has changed in that respect!

The Style Coach class was all to do with discovering your style personality, i.e. how do your clothes reflect your personality? We identified our personal styles through a quiz so I can't replicate that here but based on our choices we ended up fitting into one, or maybe a combination of two, of the 5 style personalities. This link will take you to a site that deals with 6 style personalities - the 5 that were mentioned in the class plus the addition of a European Chic style. I ended up being classed as a 'natural' but with an element of 'classic' thrown in the mix, which really confirmed what I already thought. So the challenge to do over the next day or two is to look at all my clothes and decide which things I like and why, and which things I don't like and why. The idea is to assess each item through the filter(s) of my personality style. 

Today, I'm waiting in for two people to pay for and collect the items they've bought. I will also need to package one item to post tomorrow as that auction ends this evening and there are bids on it. So although I don't know the final price I do know it has sold and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a bidding war at the end!

I'm hoping to speak to C, the piano teacher, today. Lessons start a week today and we left it that we would speak this week and deal with any issues so I am going to ask if we can test the computer side of things before the actual lesson. I can't remember the name of the programme she uses for the online lessons but would like to test that it works on my laptop to avoid the first lesson being taken up with technical issues. Apparently it's similar to Zoom but is a programme specifically for music teachers where the majority of the signal is dedicated to the audio rather than the visual. 

*************************

My August decluttering challenge:

  • 1st = a set of plastic measuring spoons (I never use them)
  • 2nd = a white shirt (band uniform that is now too big) 
  • 3rd = odd balls of wool (going to my sister, who can make use of them)
  • 4th = a map quiz book (completed and unlikely to want to do it again)
  • 5th = blue cardigan (big holes in both elbows so only fit for the bin!)
  • 6th = a pile of half completed puzzle books (going to my friend's sister)
  • 7th = large fruit bowl (I don't like it but K does, so it's going to her!)
  • 8th = a broken Filofax cover (only fit for the bin!)
  • 9th = unopened toiletries (unwanted gifts, so going to a friend)
  • 10th = 3 small terracotta indoor pots (gifting them to K)
  • 11th = old duvet set (to be donated)
  • 12th = 5 Pyrex divided containers (to be donated as I never use them)
  • 13th = two impossibly hard jigsaw puzzles (to be donated gifted to Joy)
  • 14th = books, garden fleeces & growing bags (gifted to Joy)
  • 15th = a box of carbon paper (gifting to E)
  • 16th = tin full of pencils and crayons (donated to a woman's refuge)
  • 17th = DVDs I never watch (gifting to E)
  • 18th = broken metal whisk (to be recycled)
  • 19th = brand new under sink waste bin (to be donated)
  • 20th = 2 pairs of specs (to the collection bin at the recycling yard)
  • 21st = winter coat (now too big, gifted to K)
  • 22nd = old makeup (only fit for the bin) 
  • 23rd = tatty tea towels (wanted by T for use in his garage!)
  • 24th = laddered tights (only fit for the bin)
  • 25th = socks that are more holes than sock! (only fit for the bin)
  • 26th = flash cards and rhythm cards (teaching resources going to C, the piano teacher)
  • 27th = 3 large and brand new white picture frames (will probably be sold, unless my sister wants them)
  • 28th = various kitchen utensils (to be donated/recycled)
  • 29th = a box of assorted ornaments (to be donated)
  • 30th = some more completed puzzle books (in the recycling bin)
  • 31st = tatty ring binders and wallet folders (to be recycled)

Comments

  1. Wow, your rose is really beautiful and I'm looking forward to seeing your yellow roses. Well done on your sales and hopeful there will be that bidding war as your listings near the end. I'll take a look at style personalities, I'm sure I'll be natural too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No bidding wars but at least the item sold!

      The yellow rose is in bud but they are taking for ever to open ... or is it maybe that I don't have any patience? I'll post a photo as soon as I can.

      The style personality stuff is interesting.

      Delete
  2. Lovely rose to start off today's post. Thanks for the Style link. I wonder if there's a "what ever" style? I'll check it out after my visit here with you. Let's hope the two that said they would be around keep to their word & there's three things gone in the declutter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far everything sold cash on collection has been paid for and has left the house, so I'm happy about that. There'll be a bit of a gap now until the next auctions are due to end.

      Your suggestion for a 'what ever' style made me laugh ... but I know what you mean!

      Delete
  3. Olá Eileen,
    So beautiful your rose!
    I lovet it!
    Hugs,
    Ailime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my favourite, I'm glad you like it too.

      Delete
  4. What a gorgeous rose! I really love it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going to look amazing next year once it's grown and is covered in lots of those beautiful pink roses.

      Delete
  5. Your Eden rose is lovely!
    Too bad about the mix up of the dates when Imber was open, but, as you said, you had decided to wait until December, anyway, so it's OK.
    I looked up the site to figure out our style personalities, but, I couldn't really figure out what my style personality is! I started out thinking "classic" (traditional, conservative), but, then, my traditional and conservative (sari) is very different from the Western definition! I do love to wear saris, but, I don't wear them everyday. So, I guess I'll go with 'natural'. My daughter says I am "boho" (Bohemian) :)
    Are you excited about starting piano lessons? I'm giving myself all of September to prepare myself to start in October!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your saris count as traditional and are therefore different from the clothes which reflect your style personality. The style, accessories, sometimes colours, of the traditional way of dressing is governed by 'rules' that you didn't make, whereas your other clothes are ones in a style you have chosen. I did ask the question at the next session and she likened it to any traditional costume/way of dressing and the example we discussed in the group was the wearing of kilts - there are rules about the type of kilt, which cloth you are entitled to wear, length, type of jacket etc. etc., and that people who choose to wear their traditional costume adhere to those rules. So you can be a 'classic' or 'natural' who sometimes opts for traditional. Does that make sense?

      Delete
    2. I have mixed feelings about the piano lessons - mostly excitement but with some anxiety thrown in. I'll be fine after the first lesson though.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts