Thursday

Yesterday's bad news ... my surgery advised patients that they may have to cancel non urgent blood tests due to the global shortage of blood tubes! I don't know how long before this shortage is over or how this will affect the tests I'm supposed to be having now as I still haven't passed the first hurdle of getting an appointment yet!  It's another worry though, isn't it?

Yesterday's good news ... I've sold the doll's house! G, my hairdresser, saw it on Tuesday and said straight away that she knew who'd want it and texted her friends with all the details so they came to see it yesterday and are buying it for their twin daughters for Christmas. We've agreed that it will stay here until the end of September as they are away on holiday and then busy with birthday celebrations, so a minor inconvenience but they sweetened the deal by agreeing to pay the full asking price in return for me storing it for a month.


I'll be sad to see it go but will appreciate the space it takes up. It's something I was going to do with my late partner and he was going to make all sorts of things for it, but of course that's no longer possible and to do it on my own is a compromise I don't want to make. I can always buy a much smaller house if I change my mind in the future but I think I'm more likely to do a bookshelf insert instead. I did get a bit upset about selling the doll's house so the afternoon was a bit of a weepy one. I surprised myself with my reaction but at the same time can understand it ... this is the final thing that ties in with how our lives were affected following his diagnosis of Motor Neurone Disease. I think that I may experience a positive change in my emotional health once it finally leaves the house.  

As a result of that I didn't do much for the rest of the day. I tuned into the Style Coach (will write about that tomorrow) but that's it, so I have to get on with labelling the school uniforms today without fail. I also avoided going shopping so either need to do that today or arrange for a delivery.

*************************

My August decluttering challenge:

  • 1st = a set of plastic measuring spoons (I never use them)
  • 2nd = a white shirt (band uniform that is now too big) 
  • 3rd = odd balls of wool (going to my sister, who can make use of them)
  • 4th = a map quiz book (completed and unlikely to want to do it again)
  • 5th = blue cardigan (big holes in both elbows so only fit for the bin!)
  • 6th = a pile of half completed puzzle books (going to my friend's sister)
  • 7th = large fruit bowl (I don't like it but K does, so it's going to her!)
  • 8th = a broken Filofax cover (only fit for the bin!)
  • 9th = unopened toiletries (unwanted gifts, so going to a friend)
  • 10th = 3 small terracotta indoor pots (gifting them to K)
  • 11th = old duvet set (to be donated)
  • 12th = 5 Pyrex divided containers (to be donated as I never use them)
  • 13th = two impossibly hard jigsaw puzzles (to be donated gifted to Joy)
  • 14th = books, garden fleeces & growing bags (gifted to Joy)
  • 15th = a box of carbon paper (gifting to E)
  • 16th = tin full of pencils and crayons (donated to a woman's refuge)
  • 17th = DVDs I never watch (gifting to E)
  • 18th = broken metal whisk (to be recycled)
  • 19th = brand new under sink waste bin (to be donated)
  • 20th = 2 pairs of specs (to the collection bin at the recycling yard)
  • 21st = winter coat (now too big, gifted to K)
  • 22nd = old makeup (only fit for the bin) 
  • 23rd = tatty tea towels (wanted by T for use in his garage!)
  • 24th = laddered tights (only fit for the bin)
  • 25th = socks that are more holes than sock! (only fit for the bin)
  • 26th = flash cards and rhythm cards (teaching resources going to C, the piano teacher)

Comments

  1. ((((( hugs ))))).
    It is a beautiful house and I can totally understand your feelings towards it. You very well could be right that once it has gone to someone who really wants it some of those less positive feelings will go too. I do hope so.
    Such a nuisance about the blood tests. I hope it's sorted soon.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy. I love the house but it's huge and it's a reminder of that time. Being a twin myself, it feels right that the new owners will be twin girls!

      Delete
  2. Oh Eileen, I'm so sorry and I understand how selling the doll's house was such a hard decision for you. The new owners will love it and get much enjoyment from it I'm sure as it is a beautiful house.
    That is a worry about the shortage of blood test tubes although I did have blood tests last week which were necessary before my infusion on Monday. I had some good news when I spoke with my oncologist, I am doing well! I hope you have a good day today xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen. I'm fine about it this morning and I know that selling it is the right thing to do.

      Good to hear that your oncologist has said that your doing well ... that's the sort of good news you want to hear! xx

      Delete
  3. (((HUGS))) I can understand how hard it must feel to let go of this doll's house, even if you had been mentally prepared to part with it. But, I'm glad it was sold for the asking price (even if you have to store it for a bit longer) and that it will be going to two little girls who are probably going to love it! Those bookshelf inserts are gorgeous!

    The shortage of blood test tubes is rather worrying! You not being able to make an appointment is equally worrying! I hope you will be able to make an appointment and, maybe, by that time, the shortage of test tubes will be over! Hope you have a good day, today. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. I've been trying to sell it since I moved here as, apart from anything else, it is too big for this house. Admittedly all of those attempts were rather half-hearted, but it really is time for it to go and I've so pleased it is going to be loved by twin girls. I'll probably have a Harry Potter themed bookshelf insert for starters šŸ˜‚

      I didn't get an appointment today so will need to try again tomorrow! The shortage of blood tubes is worry so I hope is can be resolved quickly.

      Delete
  4. Hello!
    Great post. I really like your blog, it's interesting and inspiring! I will be happy to come to read more entries :)
    I wish you all the best!
    Greetings from Poland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ayuna. Thanks for commenting and I'm glad you like this post. I hope you have a good day x

      Delete
  5. A difficult decision to sell the doll house, but I think your focus of those twin little girls that are going to love this house (& can you imagine the squeaks of delight come Christmas morning (which isn't that far off)) is what makes this a good decision & maybe this is The Universe's way of helping you. Aren't our feelings a surprise to us sometimes. Sending lots of energy thoughts across the pond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything about how this sale worked out is one of those 'meant to be' things. I'm chuffed to bits that it's going to the twins and yes, I can imagine their delight on Christmas Day. Thanks for the thoughts xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts