Wednesday

In the garden ...

... the two new roses were delivered yesterday - Claire Austin, lemon buds fading to creamy white, and Eden, cream buds edged with pink changing to a pink rose edged with cream. The bird bath was also delivered and I will post photos of that when it's in position.  The blue pots also arrived but will be going back as the box contains red pots, not the blue I ordered. I'm waiting to hear back from the supplier. 

I had a long chat with my neighbours yesterday about the state of the fence. We share ownership of the fence and last time we discussed it, about six years ago, we thought at that time it wouldn't need to be replaced for about eight maybe ten years if we were lucky. This meant that we wouldn't be looking to replace it for another two or three years but last winter's storms and the recent high winds has shortened that timescale and it need to be done sooner rather than later, as in now! We've left it that he will arrange for quotes and then take it from there. It's all down to the cost (for both of us) but hopefully we'll be able to get it replaced before spring. There's never going to be a good time to get it done but from my point of view this timescale fits in with the existing plans to cut the two established roses right back, and all the other roses and climbers haven't grown that much yet. I'll let M decide what she wants to do with the new plants for now. 

I'm planning to stay at home today. There's another parcel due, medication not plants, and I have someone coming to look at the doll's house at midday - I hope they buy it but I think it may be bigger than they really want. Anyway, this slots in nicely between the Nutrition Club this morning and the second Style Coach session this afternoon. I'm also on school uniform labelling duties for C and H so will get that done this afternoon and drop it all round to them tonight on my way to the supermarket to buy fruit, veg and bread. 

*************************

My August decluttering challenge:

  • 1st = a set of plastic measuring spoons (I never use them)
  • 2nd = a white shirt (band uniform that is now too big) 
  • 3rd = odd balls of wool (going to my sister, who can make use of them)
  • 4th = a map quiz book (completed and unlikely to want to do it again)
  • 5th = blue cardigan (big holes in both elbows so only fit for the bin!)
  • 6th = a pile of half completed puzzle books (going to my friend's sister)
  • 7th = large fruit bowl (I don't like it but K does, so it's going to her!)
  • 8th = a broken Filofax cover (only fit for the bin!)
  • 9th = unopened toiletries (unwanted gifts, so going to a friend)
  • 10th = 3 small terracotta indoor pots (gifting them to K)
  • 11th = old duvet set (to be donated)
  • 12th = 5 Pyrex divided containers (to be donated as I never use them)
  • 13th = two impossibly hard jigsaw puzzles (to be donated gifted to Joy)
  • 14th = books, garden fleeces & growing bags (gifted to Joy)
  • 15th = a box of carbon paper (gifting to E)
  • 16th = tin full of pencils and crayons (donated to a woman's refuge)
  • 17th = DVDs I never watch (gifting to E)
  • 18th = broken metal whisk (to be recycled)
  • 19th = brand new under sink waste bin (to be donated)
  • 20th = 2 pairs of specs (to the collection bin at the recycling yard)
  • 21st = winter coat (now too big, gifted to K)
  • 22nd = old makeup (only fit for the bin) 
  • 23rd = tatty tea towels (wanted by T for use in his garage!)
  • 24th = laddered tights (only fit for the bin)
  • 25th = socks that are more holes than sock! (only fit for the bin)

Comments

  1. Your new roses sound lovely. That's annoying about the wrong colour pots, someone not doing their job and checking what they send out. I hope your neighbour comes back with some reasonable quotes for the fence so you can get it replaced. Fingers crossed you sell your doll's house today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen. The wrong pots are frustrating and something I could do without at present. I'll try to phone the company this morning to see how they plan to resolve the problem.

      I think the roses are beautiful, obviously otherwise I wouldn't have chosen them! The garden should look a real picture next year.

      I'm hoping that the replacement fence won't be mega expensive but at least I only have to find 50% of the costs. My neighbour has said he will replace all the hanging baskets and the fixings for the wire supports for the climbers for me afterwards so that part won't cost me anything.

      I really hope they want the doll's house, mostly because it's huge and takes up so much space but the money will be added to my fence fund - I'm hoping to finance that from sales rather than using savings.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful sounding roses. The hard scapes such as fencing in a garden are usually the biggest expense. Getting it done before it actually falls in a winter storm sounds like perfect timing ... fingers crossed the doll house sells today. I cannot wait for more about the style coach. Your info yesterday was helpful, sent me on a Canadian quest & I found a (free) site that does the calculations of your body shape; pear, apple, rectangle, diamond, etc. Interesting tidbits once you know your shape for choosing the most flattering styles; necklines, jacket style & length; skirt, pants, blouses etc. That was a good hour wander! I then went through the questionnaire you posted - uumm a little reveling, but all good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll write about today's style coach session in Friday's post. I'd be interested in the link to the site you found. I've been looking at colour analysis - I had this done years ago (I'm winter) and wanted to refresh my memory on the best colours for my skin tone.

      I thought the questions were the best part of the first session. It took a lot of thought but as you say, the answers were often revealing and I feel that I learned something about myself in the process.

      Delete
    2. Eileen this is the link I started with; https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/body-shape then when I found my body shape I just Googled that shape.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, I'll have a look.

      Delete
  3. Our bird bath in the garden is brilliant.It is used all the time.Often 4 or 5 birds in together and different species.It was a present for a special birthday and certainly one of the best presents to receive.Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm hoping for so I hope mine proves to be as successful an addition to the garden as yours has been.

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous roses! I am sure they will thrive in your garden. Sorry about the red pots in lieu of the blue! Hope you were able to contact the company and they will send you the right color pots, soon. Hope you were able to sell the doll's house, too. Needing to replace the fence sooner than you thought is unfortunate, but, I guess now would be a good time as any to get it done, before the new roses get established, etc. Hope your neighbor is able to get some reasonable quotes.

    Looking forward to reading about the next style coach session. In the meantime, I'm looking at the questions you posted, earlier. :) I'm guilty of wearing clothes because they fit, because I have them/they were given to me, because I do not like to shop for clothes and I don't like to spend money on clothes for myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fell in love with both the roses as soon as I saw them in the online catalogues so it was a simple choice this time. I still have to sort out the problem with the pots. I have emailed but there's no response so far so will try to phone again today.

      It's working out to be the best time for me. Once all the climbers have grown it'll be more difficult and likely damage more of the plants.

      I'll update about the style coaching in tomorrow's post.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts