Saturday

Yesterday started well. I went out for a short walk and then summoned up the energy to move some of the items out of the music room. I've only bothered with the things that are taking up floor space and, for now, they have been moved to the dining room so I can focus on getting them sold or otherwise disposed of. That'll be next week's task.

I started trying to book a visit to the local records office and managed to get myself totally confused about which reference number to use when requesting the documents I want to view - nothing to do with me being thick but more to do with the documents having more than one reference number! Anyway I'm glad I phoned as I was told that the records I want to view, my late grandfather's medical records, remain sealed until 2026 but the very helpful archivist gave me all the details of how to apply for permission to view them. I was a bit frustrated as, although I understand the reason for this, it's another delay but I duly sent off my request and was delighted to receive written permission within 30 minutes ... couldn't ask for better service.  I've applied for a timeslot to visit the records office and am waiting to hear back from them - they will need to temporarily redact details of other patients while allowing me to view the info I want to see, so hopefully this will speed up my research. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that access to these documents will provide some of the essential information relating to this elusive ancestor.

I also made contact with the piano teacher. I initially phoned but she didn't answer and there was no option to leave a message so I have emailed her and am waiting to hear back.

Then things went downhill rapidly. Half way through the nutrition focus session the dreaded migraine kicked back in. I took my meds straight away but they didn't really work and I ended up going back to bed. I heard some thunder later on so it could have been to do with that.

Today I am feeling better which is just as well as the supermarket order will be delivered tonight. There's a subtle difference to how I feel and I know I will recover quickly this time, thank goodness. I'm not expecting the pain to return but it'll have to be an easy day so mostly reading, plenty of naps and very little screen time. I will do a couple of loads of washing as that feels productive with very little effort on my part!

*************************

My August decluttering challenge:

  • 1st = a set of plastic measuring spoons (I never use them)
  • 2nd = a white shirt (band uniform that is now too big) 
  • 3rd = odd balls of wool (going to my sister, who can make use of them)
  • 4th = a map quiz book (completed and unlikely to want to do it again)
  • 5th = blue cardigan (big holes in both elbows so only fit for the bin!)
  • 6th = a pile of half completed puzzle books (going to my friend's sister)
  • 7th = large fruit bowl (I don't like it but K does, so it's going to her!)

Comments

  1. Good to read you are feeling better today. I didn't know you could view medical records or that they are sealed until a certain date, would that be for one hundred years? I hope you hear back from your chosen piano teacher. Take it easy today and I hope it stays fine to dry your washing. I just put a load in the machine and now I can hear it raining :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are the records from a hospital that closed in the 40s. I didn't realise initially that the resource included patient records which explains why they are sealed - 100 years from date of death. I'm hoping this will give me his date of birth which has so far proved elusive.

      I'm hoping for a speedy response from the piano teacher but of course it is the school holiday and she could well be away from home. I'll leave it a week and try again if I don't hear from her.

      It'll probably have to be tumble dried as we are promised a day if rain.

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry the migraines are bothering you again but very positive news about your family research - they really did get back to you quickly, didn't they?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was impressed by the speed of their response. I'm hopeful of finding his date of birth and maybe notes on his family which'll help with future research.

      Thanks re the migraines. I think I'm back in a cycle of frequent migraines so let's hope I can break that cycle sooner rather than later.

      Delete
  3. I feel sure that my migraines and my daughter's are triggered by low pressure - we don't live together any more but invariably we suffer at the same time and especially over the past week. I appreciate the medication is expensive but I have to ration myself as the surgery is very stingy handing out the tablets and in this country where low pressure is the norm I'm never given enough! I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julia, I'm sure you're right about the air pressure. Sorry to hear that both you and your daughter suffer from migraines.

      I'm restricted on my migraine meds anyway. I can take one, then a second after 4 hours but that's it and I have to wait 48 hours until I can take any more.

      Delete
    2. I get 6 tabs a fortnight. Sumatriptan.

      Delete
    3. I can't take those ... can't remember why.

      Delete
  4. Sorry to hear about the migraines returning, but, I think you accomplished more in one morning than some of us (who shall remain nameless) do in a whole day! :D Hope you will be able to obtain your grandfather's records soon. Well done on the decluttering; you are inspiring me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Unfortunately I haven't achieved half of what I wanted to do this week ... all to do with feeling poorly, but still frustrating.

      I'm hopeful of finding his date of birth in the records which is the key piece of information I haven't been able to find yet. I don't think they'll take long to get the documents ready for me so I should hear from them next week.

      Thanks re the decluttering. I have something to spur me to get the music room cleared now as I booked my piano lessons to start next month. I have exactly one month to get most of the decluttered items moved and hopefully sold. 😀

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts