Wednesday

Yesterday's trip to the Local History Centre was worth the effort. I was only permitted access to three of the twelve documents I'd requested as the archivist had checked them prior to my visit and couldn't find any references to the person I was looking for in nine of them. The three I did get to see came up trumps though. I now know the details of the illness leading to his death and one document listed a physical description of him. Some of the other patient records contained photos (I may have accidentally looked!) but sadly there wasn't one in my grandfather's file. He was very confused at the time of his admittance and couldn't or wouldn't provide many details about himself, so I still don't know his date of birth or anything about his birth family, but it did confirm some family stories about various jobs he'd done as a younger man. I also picked up one piece of information that suggests another avenue of research which may provide additional details and that will be my next step. 

Today I need to post a couple of parcels first thing (two items sold 😀) and then it is the nutrition club. Afterwards, I'll fit in some piano practice - all the instruments I play use the treble clef so, although I'm okay-ish with the bass clef there is a lot of room for improvement and that's what I'm focusing on at the moment. I don't want to go right back to the start as a complete beginner but I also don't have much idea about piano specific technique either so it may be advisable to start off with the simpler, but not basic, stuff.  

This is the scale of this afternoon's 'sorting the music books' task ...


... I'm hoping to get it all done in one go. I'll keep a selection to sell with the four instruments that are going, and then it's a case of taking the excess over to the Oxfam collection point. There should be plenty of space on the tops shelves in the music room cupboard by the time I've finished.

*************************

My August decluttering challenge:

  • 1st = a set of plastic measuring spoons (I never use them)
  • 2nd = a white shirt (band uniform that is now too big) 
  • 3rd = odd balls of wool (going to my sister, who can make use of them)
  • 4th = a map quiz book (completed and unlikely to want to do it again)
  • 5th = blue cardigan (big holes in both elbows so only fit for the bin!)
  • 6th = a pile of half completed puzzle books (going to my friend's sister)
  • 7th = large fruit bowl (I don't like it but K does, so it's going to her!)
  • 8th = a broken Filofax cover (only fit for the bin!)
  • 9th = unopened toiletries (unwanted gifts, so going to a friend)
  • 10th = 3 small terracotta indoor pots (gifting them to K)
  • 11th = old duvet set (to be donated)

Comments

  1. Glad you were able to find at least some information on your grandfather and a possible source for additional information, as well. Yay! You sold two items! Well done! That looks like a lot of music to sort through, but, I know you'll get at least a couple of piles done this afternoon. :) I, too, find the base clef notes difficult to remember! Were you able to play through the songs in the Alfred's Basic Adult Piano Course Level 1 book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've sold one more item for cash on collection. I can't lift it so it's the only possibility and it's in the garage so the person won't need to come into the house.

      It is a lot of music, mostly from books that have been passed on to me once children finished with them, but sorting is going well so far.

      I've gone back to really easy pieces to try to get the bass clef to stick in my brain! I don't seem to have the Alfred level 1 book - I think Miss C may have borrowed it - so I am looking at some of the first pieces in book 2. I think they are about the right level to start working on the various techniques without getting bored.

      Delete
  2. Oh, my, that's a lot of music!!
    I'm very glad your visit was so productive and helpful. Good luck with the new thread. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lot of music, very little of which I bought myself. Most was given to me by the parents of the children I taught who seemed to work on the 'one book in, one book out' principle! They were a useful resource when I was teaching but I don't need them now.

      The family research is going through an interesting stage and I'm hoping the new lead fills in some more gaps.

      Delete
  3. That is fascinating to learn some things about your grandfather's life even if you don't have the complete information. Well done on selling a couple of your items and sorting out your music books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very strange to read about him in this way. I updated my sister yesterday and that conversation has given me a couple of other ideas as well, based on things she has remembered.

      Delete
  4. That's great that you could read at least 3 of the documents & how kind for the clerk to get that all prepared for you. Now with a few more trails to follow this man, this Grandfather may finally be revealed to you. :)

    Yeah to getting a few more things sold & out the door.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had special permission to read them as they are still officially sealed under the 100 year rule, so the archivist had to prepare them for me. It was a big help though as the registers are enormous and it would have taken ages to find the info if I'd had to look through everything myself.

      I'm getting some enquiries about other items as well so I'm hopeful for a few more sales.

      Delete
  5. Doing family history is so fascinating isn't it. My problem is remaining focussed on the task in hand...it's so easy to go off at a tangent. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love finding out about everyone and all the tangents are what makes it fun ☺️

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts