Friday 25th March

84/365: At the end of the marina, near the basin.

Yesterday turned out to be a busy day in the end, but lots of lists and decision making rather than anything too strenuous. I want the decluttering over and done with but am now in a position where I can't think about doing the heavier stuff myself so I'm looking at alternative ways to achieve that goal. I'm starting off by listing everything that still has to go and creating separate lists for the things I can do myself, the things I'll need help with, and the things that I'd be happy to donate. Much as I want the decluttering to be finished the priority is to protect my eyesight so I am erring on the side of caution and being strict about what I'll tackle myself - it's not that I need to rest completely, just avoid things like heavy lifting and strenuous exercise and, as the list of things to tackle myself is by far the shortest, I think it's manageable. 

In saying that I don't think I'll be doing much on it today. I should have been seeing L and P today but we cancelled because they were both feeling poorly and now they have suggested doing a Zoom meet up instead. I'm still finding screen time a bit of a strain but we're giving it a go and if it doesn't work out we'll try again next week. 

I walked around the marina yesterday to get my daily dose of fresh air and spent a good few minutes laughing at the antics of the ducks ... I'll be heading in that direction again today. Most of the hire boats are still in the marina and it looks like someone played a very successful game of narrowboat Tetris when they moored them up for the winter. It can't be too long until they are moved out again but I'm not sure when the season starts ... I like seeing all the boats on the canal though, so something to look forward to.

It's the nutrition focus class this morning, talking about healthy bowels. A bit of a coincidence as I've just received my test pack for bowel cancer screening, so have the pleasure of sorting that out today!

Comments

  1. That's a lovely photo of the marina, it's very relaxing watching the ducks isn't it. We have our test kits still to do, they arrived in the post about a week ago but we keep putting them off, not a pleasant prospect but definitely on the list of things that need doing soon. I hope you manage your Zoom meetup today. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love watching the ducks. I think they're used to being fed as they swim towards people but they were sadly disappointed by me yesterday as I didn't have anything to give them!

      My kit is all done now and I'll post it when I go out for my walk later on.

      Thanks re the zoom meetup.

      Delete
  2. I reckon taking it very easy is a most wise way to go. I hope the Zoom meet-up goes well and that your friends feel better soon.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's bothering me more this time. I don't know if that's because my right eye is already compromised but I want to give myself the best chance by not causing any further damage. The flashing lights will become less of a problem given time and is outside of my control anyway but I can make sure I reduce the risk of detaching the retina, so that's my aim.

      Thanks Joy, I'm looking forward to catching up with L and P ... it's been ages since I saw them. xx

      Delete
  3. Nice calm looking part of the marina. Mr Man has over the last 2 years been an avid fan of the vBlogs of two narrow boat channels, now both of them have sold their narrow boats & are returning to a land life. Getting the decluttering broken down into those categories seems like your goals/time lines can be kept to be done. I chuckled at the topic of today's nutrition class ... probably one of the most important, yet we winch to discuss; healthy bowels, clear head I say (col).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The marina is one of my calming places to walk. It's always busy with boats but there never seems to be too many people about. It's the same with the canal and that's a lovely place to walk and just 'be'.

      I'm hoping I can come up with some ideas for disposing of the rest of the items without too much effort on my part. It'll be lovely to have it all finished and once I achieve that every day can be a quiet relaxing day, so it's worth the effort.

      It'll be interesting to hear what she has to say about all things bowel related!

      Delete
  4. I also did my bowel screening test this week, I think we get the result in about a fortnight. I got rid of 4 bags of decluttering yesterday 2 to my cousin, which included a dozen handmade cards I had made for her and 2 to the charity shop. It is not as easy as I thought, especially when a lot has already been either passed on, or to the charity shop or to the tip. I guess it depends on what you have to dispose of, as to how easy it is. Some charities will collect bigger items, the one I was in yesterday were going to collect a wardrobe and a chest of draws, some refurbishment charities will also collect. Good luck with it. Helen S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done on the four bags of decluttering. I agree that it does get harder the more you have already decluttered. I'm near the end of my big decluttering journey and most of what's left will probably go to one of the local auction houses - it's mostly collectibles and musical instruments, so will sell well and bring in some extra funds. Anything of lesser value is going to be donated to charity. I'm at the stage where I just want it finished. Thanks Helen x

      Delete
  5. I find 'setting out your stall' with loads of lists really helps. It can take time, but saves so much more time and effort. Thank you for reminding me to get back to mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely a 'lists' person. I even add things that I've done just so I can tick them off straight away 😂

      Delete
  6. You are really good with lists. I think they do make things easier. I just struggle to make them.

    Decluttering does feel good. I am still struggling to make decisions as to how to get rid of things. I wish there was a way to make things easier. I have managed quite a few books but there are still loads more to go. I do think I will feel a little better about things when there isn't so many things around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find lists work for me. I've probably forgotten to add quite a few things but there's enough listed to get me started.

      It definitely feels better now I've got rid of so much. The only advice I can give is to keep chipping away at it. Once you start to really notice the difference you may find it gets easier.

      Delete
  7. The marina looks like a nice place for a walk. I have not yet walked so much as to the end of my block! Making the lists is a good idea! Maybe one of your family members or friends can help you with moving the stuff that need moving? I hope the Zoom meeting with your friends went well and wasn't too much of a strain on your eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The marina is only about five minutes walk from my home so it's not far at all.

      I'll be roping in friends to help me once I've decided how to organise things.

      The zoom meeting was quite short as L was tired but it was good to see both of them.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts