Planning Ahead

/
90/365: the patio after the first wash ... I'd forgotten how much colour there is in the paving

R arrived bright and early to start on the patio. We'd originally planned that, with neighbour S's help, he'd move the rest of the pots out of the garden and then pressure wash and repoint the entire patio in one go but that was changed. R decided to tackle the bigger, empty, area nearest the house first and when that's completely finished they'll move the pots back to their proper places and then sort out the bottom area. That way, the pots only have to be moved once. 

I've revised my budget for the next year. There's lots I need to do with any spare cash and lots that I'd like to do, and it looks like I'll be able to do most of it if I compromise on the holiday side of things. I'll still be able to afford some day trips but my priority is to sort out the more expensive purchases for home and garden - if prices continue to rise I may not be able to afford them next year!

Plans for the garden include purchasing the arches, water butt(s), metal trellising, hanging basket brackets, the annual plants, and sorting out the water pressure to the external tap on the back wall of the house. S has generously offered to fit everything for me which will help to keep the costs down, and I've already agreed the price with M (plumber, not gardener) for the tap, etc. Plans for the home include a new hoover, moving a radiator, a ceiling fan for the bedroom, picture frames, smaller dining table (but I am selling the current one) and, a pull out larder unit. I'll ask my nephew to fit the ceiling fan but will have to find a tradesman for the pull out larder unit as that may involve changing the existing arch between the dining room and the kitchen. 

I'm hoping to begin some of this in April, starting with the new trellis and hanging basket brackets, and then in early May ask M to return to move the radiator in the dining room and sort out the external tap. We haven't measured up for the arches yet so I'm not sure of the total cost but am hoping that I can afford to get those in place in late May/early June as well as installing the ceiling fan in the bedroom.

The garden purchases are all part of my long term plan for the garden and the home ones are related to my 2022 goals, i.e. to address the things I've been tolerating. It does mean that there won't be enough free cash for the holidays I was sort of planning just yet, as I don't want to dip into my savings, but I'm okay with that decision. For one thing I want to see what happens to the Covid numbers now that LFT are no longer free or compulsory, although I haven't quite got my head round how they'll keep an accurate count when people stop testing and reporting. I know that the home and garden changes combined with several day trips will make a big difference to my emotional well being. However, I also think my OLW for 2022, "adventure", needs to be saved for next year so instead I'll be revisiting the one from 2018 ... fulfil.  

Comments

  1. In the past, several years, I have had what I called a 'holiday from home'. I cancelled all the regular stuff and planned day trips and outings. I had a few takeaways and bought nice, easily prepped food. Breakfasts were a bit more special than usual and I did things I really wanted to do rather than things I needed to do - just as if I was away.
    It will be lovely to get all the home plans done and you can still have a really pleasant holiday too.
    It really worked well and saved a fortune on hotel/accommodation expenses.
    Go for it!!! :-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to getting all the home and garden things done. I do like the holiday from home idea and will give it some thought to see how I can make it work for me. Thanks Joy xx

      Delete
  2. Your patio area looks lovely, so colourful, I wish mine looked like that. You have a lot to budget for in your home and garden and the holiday from home that Joy suggests sounds good. I have to admit I'm going stir-crazy with having to shield for so long since my diagnosis at the start of the pandemic so a short break was top of my priorities. We only plan on going away to relax and the change of scenery will do us good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd forgotten the patio was that colourful so it was a lovely surprise as the colours were revealed. I can see all the fossils in the stone again as well.

      I can understand why you need that break away from home after all you've been through in the last couple of years. I think I will be okay with the day trips for this year but I can always review my decision if it's not working out. xx

      Delete
  3. We are busy sorting things in the house, whilst the prices are not to inflated, luckily we don't have any huge jobs, they were done when we moved in back in 2009. Our hope is to get things sorted this year, and then relax.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my hope too ... everything sorted this year and then sit back and enjoy it. I hope you manage to get all of yours done. xx

      Delete
  4. The patio looks great after the cleaning! Sounds like you were able to plan your finances well; I do hope that you will still be able to have the holidays you'd like to take. Maybe as one of your other readers suggested, do a staycation and take some virtual trips/tours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how it looks now, so much brighter. I've managed to come up with a workable budget that will allow me to do all of the home and garden improvements/repairs this year. I'm not to worried about having holidays this year but it may still be possible because there will be money coming in from the items I'm selling. If not, I've done staycations before and have really enjoyed them.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like some solid planning. Budgeting is all about balancing the needs, the wants, & the must do's. I imagine COVID numbers will soon peak again, which might involve some mandatory restrictions again, keeping you at home ... so maybe your plans to "feather your nest" is your optimum option given you know how much you enjoy your garden & home. The patio looks amazing already with one cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not expecting any restrictions in the future. The only time I can see it happening now is if the hospitals are at risk of being overwhelmed or if the virus mutates to a much more deadly strain.

      This has to be the year to get everything done and then I'll have all the time, and more money, to have as many holidays as I want.

      Delete
  6. Hi Eileen,
    Beautiful projects have for your home and very well outlined.
    Interspersing with a day of vacation is good!
    I hope that everything goes as you have thought.
    You will have a beautiful house and garden!
    Hugs and good weekend.
    Ailime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ailime. I've planned what I want and if I'm sensible I should be able to get it all done. Hope you have a good weekend too.

      Delete
  7. It makes a lot of sense, doing it the way that you're doing it. You're paying out now, but it will be something you don't have to pay out again. Like you say, the way that inflation is going, getting the big purchases out of the way is a good idea. The patio is looking great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels like the best way to approach it with the way prices are increasing. My landscaper organised the trellis for me today, at trade price, so am getting it for a much cheaper price than I could get it for online - it's very similar to the trellis you bought.

      I forgot just how much I love the colours of the patio!

      Delete
  8. Well doesn't that look wonderful! Must have taken ages. Does he pour some sort of sealing treatment over it, to prevent moss regrowth too soon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was two days work ... for him, it would have taken me much longer! Yes, it's been sealed.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts