Monday 4th April

94/365: perusing the plant catalogues!

It's been a very productive weekend though mostly due to the hard work of others rather than anything I did! Neighbour S worked in my garden for most of Saturday sorting out all the trellis panels and he did a brilliant job. It took longer than he expected it to as some of the panels had to be trimmed to fit, and he added extra strengthening battens on most of them, but it is done and looks fantastic. He'll be back round to fit the hanging basket brackets either today or tomorrow and also reposition the pots he had to move to make enough room to work in. 

I heard from M about restarting her regular visits to maintain my garden. She still has to confirm her starting date as she has taken on extra work so has a bit of juggling to do, but she'll be here either on Friday 8th or Thursday 14th, so it's not too long to wait. I've been looking at plant catalogues and have a list of ideas as long as my arm to discuss with her!

My friend's son is out of hospital and recovering well. On Sunday he turned up with a friend to collect the boxes and bags of donated items I'd been keeping for him to sell on his charity boot sales stall - his friend did all the lifting! - so that has cleared some more space for me, which is just as well as I need to bring some more stuff from the garage and store it indoors for a while. R, the landscaper, has acquired some freebie worktops which were being thrown out from a refurbished property and S will be using them to make me some decent storage in the garage. My BiL will be taking some more things on Wednesday and I think L may take some stuff when she visits on Tuesday so I hope that will leave enough space for S to work in. If not, I have a huge tarpaulin so if anything else does need to be moved it can be stored on the patio and covered from the elements for the short time that it is necessary. 

I watched the Boat Race on TV yesterday, the first time I've watched TV since the PVD happened. I felt okay while I was actually watching it but developed a bit of a headache later on and so spend the evening just listening to some music. I'm not too worried if I have to avoid watching TV for a while longer as I have plenty of other things to keep me amused.

Today is an admin day for me. I have a stack of papers to sort through but I think most of it will end up being thrown - I keep saving articles that I think I'll refer to regularly and then never seem to look at them again. It'll save me a lot of work if I can break that habit! Apart from that I want to speak to T, S's wife, if I can manage to see her without S overhearing as I want to ask for suggestions on what I can get for S as a thank you gift. 

Comments

  1. It sounds like a busy and most successful weekend for all. I really do think your trellising looks stunning and makes such a huge difference.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy, the trellis looked so good this morning with all the shadows cast by the sunshine. Do you think you will add something similar to cover up your neighbour's fence?

      Delete
  2. I live browsing plant catalogues, and your yesterdays photo of the trellis's is lovely. You'll certainly have a lot of summer colour with planta trained against it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've decided on the additional climbers I'll need to buy but will speak to my gardener before I place the order. Looking through all the catalogues was a pleasant way to pass the time though. I'm going for lots of colour this year!

      I don't seem to be able to access your blog now. Have you made it a private blog?

      Delete
  3. Ooh, look at all those pretty plants in the catalogs! You have had a very productive weekend! And it sounds like there will be more things happening in and around your garden and garage in the upcoming weeks, too! I hope you will share pictures of the new garage storage. Hope your headache went away after you rested. You've a busy day planned with that admin work. Hope you can speak with T without S finding out! Have a lovely start to your week, Eileen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many lovely plants to choose from but so far I have resisted the temptation to buy ... M will have plenty of work for her first visit without having to deal with the results of an enthusiastic spending spree!

      I will share photos of the garage as it's being done, don't worry.

      Sadly the headache stayed for the rest of the day but it's gone this morning so all is well. I haven't started the admin yet, I can't get going today! I haven't seen T yet but will keep a look out for her.

      Hope you have a great week too, Bless x

      Delete
  4. I hope your headache didn't get any worse and it's much more relaxing listening to music. S is very kind and is working very hard for you I hope you and T can come up with a suitable gift for him without his knowing. Good news your gardener will be starting soon, your garden is going to look fabulous now the new trellis is in place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The headache didn't get any worse but hung around for the rest of the day. It's fine today though. I haven't seen T yet so will keep an eye out for her, and yes, S is very kind and generous with his time. I almost can't wait for M to come round and we can start discussing my plans for this year's planting.

      Delete
  5. Everything is coming along at some pace now, your garden is going to look wonderful. Don't look at the garden catalogues for too long, it gets expensive. Should be a cheaper year for me I just need bedding plants to add colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully this should be the final expensive year as far as the garden is concerned and from next year I'll just be buying the annuals and maybe some more bulbs. So far I'm resisting the temptation to buy anything from the catalogues but I have seem loads that I'd like! I don't have the space to buy much more 😊

      Delete
  6. How nice to have so much work completed or sorted.
    Plant catalogues are dangerous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm delighted that so much was achieved and more so because none of it was planned for Saturday so I feel that I'm ahead of schedule.

      I'm being good so far and resisting the temptation to buy anything but my list is getting longer!!

      Delete
  7. You have been busy getting things sorted with more of the decluttering project - yeah! I do hope that the TV watching headache has gone. Plant catalogues can be so much fun to browse through; acreage would be required for all my wishes to be satisfied! (lol).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm headache free today so all is good, thanks, and I feel a sort of 'lightening/relaxing' with the extra space that's been created.

      I'd need acreage as well if I bought every plant I fell in love with. 😂

      Delete
  8. You got plenty of things done over the weekend! Your garden is going to be a gorgeous place to enjoy the warm weather.

    I hope you are feeling better today.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mainly had a supervisory role but, yes, a lot was achieved by others and I'm reaping the benefits. I am headache free today, thanks.

      Delete
  9. How fun to look at gardening catalogs -- a much better distraction than television, although perhaps not as economical in the long run. I must feel good to get all those items picked up by the various parties too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still an economical distraction at the moment as I haven't actually bought anything yet, but in the long term ... I think you're probably right!

      It's a huge relief to get all the stuff out of the way. It'll look a lot clearer by the end of the week.

      Delete
  10. That sounds exhilarating with all the changes and clearing out. I'm glad that the PVD is settling down. Take care and don't forget to look after the knee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an exciting time and I've found my clearing mojo from wherever it was hiding, so I should be able to make good progress. It helps to have a goal to aim for, I think, otherwise it just becomes a chore.

      I'm taking good care of myself, don't worry, but thanks for your concern. xx

      Delete
  11. Sounds like you have a lot of plans put into motion! The house clearing seems to be coming along. I hope I can get going on mine. All my energy seems to be going to clearing Jane's house! By the time we've finished I think my own will need some TLC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised that you can't get going on your own home. Jane's is bound to be taking all of your energy and it'll feel slightly different when you eventually get round to tackling your own home.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts