Thursday 28th April

118/365: a new-to-me variety of tulip (can't remember the name!) but am loving the colour

Yesterday was a pleasantly busy and productive day. My piano lesson went well and it was good to see C after her two week break. We're now at the nit-picking stage of learning the pieces so this week's practice is to focus on suggestions to fine tune specific bars of music and also a couple of techniques to improve. I enjoy this sort of challenge so am looking forward to my daily practice sessions.

The trip to the recycling yard also went well. I've decided I must look helpless or pathetic or something because as soon as I opened the tailgate and lifted out the first bag, two staff members descended on my car and asked if I needed help. Of course I accepted their offer so I was back home fifteen minutes after I left! That's another load of stuff disposed of, all from the garage.

I had lunch when I got back and then spent most of the afternoon sorting out in the garage. I hadn't intended to be out there for that long but to be honest I didn't notice the time passing and I did get loads done. I've emptied the shelving unit and the metal cupboard ready for them to be moved to their new positions. Most of the time was spent emptying and cleaning some of the surplus flower pots, cleaning off the bits of garden furniture still being stored, and measuring up to be sure that my plans for the garage will work out.  

I did two loads of washing during the evening but ran out of time to clean the downstairs rooms ... I was chatting with neighbours for ages when I was at the front of the house after watering the garden and it was almost time for the Great British Sewing Bee by the time I went back indoors, so the housework has been added to today's list. 

It's the Indian cookery class today (Tandoori Paneer Masala) and it's the last class as the instructor will be starting her maternity leave. I don't know if it's the last class ever or whether she will be back at some time in the future ... I do hope so because I've really enjoyed, and have learned such a lot from, these weekly classes. 

I have some more sorting to do out in the garage and hopefully, S will be around and will be able to help me move things around. And apart from that, it's piano practice, housework, and time to start a new book!

Comments

  1. John said he found the same when he and Gina took some of Dad's stuff to the tip - the staff couldn't have been more helpful. It does make it all a lot easier and, I guess, speeds up the whole process which is better for them too.
    Your day sounds lovely. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a completely different experience at the tip to how it used to be. So much easier now.

      I'm looking forward to today, well the rest of it anyway. I'm getting much better at getting a good balance of work and play!

      Delete
  2. That's a beautiful tulip but I don't know it's name either. I think the guys at the recycling centres do like to help, it keeps them busy and speeds up the process as Joy says. I enjoyed watching the Sewing Bee last night, that was a beautiful dress that won the final challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly made things quicker and easier for me. Our recycling centre is the sort where you have to climb the steps by each container to dispose of your stuff which I don't find easy with my knee problems and carrying a bulky bag just adds to the difficulty level.

      I loved that dress.

      Delete
  3. I do love a good sort out, hope you enjoyed sewing bee, I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I enjoyed the sewing bee and I agreed with the decision on who was eliminated. I think it's going to be another good series.

      Delete
  4. It sounds like a very good day yesterday. It's nice being able to randomly chat with neighbours again. At our recycle centre, it's a hit & miss if anyone will help, so that's why Mr Man & I go together. It's almost hit & miss if you have to pay by weight or number of bags (grrr). In England, how long is a maternity leave? In Canada it's 1 year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good day, thanks Mary-Lou and I feel like I made some progress. Thankfully we don't have to pay so that another bonus. Maternity leave is up to 52 weeks in the UK but it sounds like this instructor is only planning to take 6 months. She's self employed so she can really take as long as she likes.

      Delete
  5. You are doing well getting rid of things. We find the chaps at our local recycling site very helpful.
    Hubby likes paneer, but I don't. I like other cheeses far too much for my own good. Quite a few years ago I used to work with an Indian lady who I learned a lot about Indian cookery, some which I still cook now.
    Helen S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen, clearing out the garage is going well and I'm finding it easier to make decisions about the stuff that's stored out there.

      I don't like paneer at all and need to restrict the amount of cheese I eat because I'm supposed to stay dairy free (but sometimes it's worth the risk!). I'll substitute a selection of vegetables when I make the curry.

      Delete
  6. Hi Eileen,
    Glad to know you are so productive and your tasks are proceeding normally.
    I hope today is a good day too.
    I loved the tulip. It'Is beautiful!
    Hugs and have a nice day.
    Ailime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ailime. The tulip is very pretty, but it is tiny - only 5 inches high.

      The garage clearing is continuing to go well and it should be finished next week.

      Delete
  7. Right well now that I know that I'll be bringing all my rubbish to Wiltshire in future. Our tip attendants "aren't allowed" to help with anything. Sometimes, even answering a question seems to be outside the job description!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But ... but ... we may not want your rubbish down here! 😂
      Actually our recycling service used to be like that but it was taken over by a different firm a few years back and the service has been excellent since then. There are signs everywhere saying that help is available and in my experience, if you ask which skip an item needs to go in they always explain and then offer to take it for you.

      Delete
  8. The Indian cookery classes have sounded amazing and wonderfully adventurous. I loved the Great British Sewing Bee last night. It was great to see it back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The classes have been brilliant and I'm going to miss them but at least I now know that they should resume in the autumn. It's an interesting selection on the GBSB ... Wednesday night viewing is sorted for the next few weeks!

      Delete
  9. I'm late with my comments, once again! Sounds like you had a very productive day! I'm glad that there were people to help you at the recycling center. Maternity leave - what's that? :D Ain't no such thing in the US! There is something called family leave which allows for up to 12 weeks of UNPAID leave to take care of a new addition to the family (birth or adoption) or to care for an ailing family member, but, even that is a fairly recent provision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the UK you're entitled to a maximum of 52 weeks of Maternity Leave and within that period there is also an entitlement to 39 weeks of Statutory Maternity Pay which is based on your income. There's also Paternity Leave and Shared Parental Leave but I don't know the details of them and whether they impact on the length of the maternity leave. All employment rights are protected when on one of these extended periods of leave.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts