April Garden Update

104/365: mid way through sorting the centre bed 
 

M rescheduled so was here to work in the garden yesterday morning. This won't be my normal day (because it will clash with my piano lesson) but it worked out well for this week.

We had a long chat about what I've been planning, the fencing with trellis and the cleaned patio were duly admired, and then most of her time was spent weeding and general tidying up. She also tied in the established roses and clematis and planted the two roses that had been overwintered in pots. There are two more climbers on order, clematis piilu and lofos 'mixed', and then it is a case of being patient and waiting for all of the climbers to grow and cover the trellis! There's also been a little bit of the gardening version of musical chairs and some plants have been moved around to new homes. Also on order are the plants for four hanging baskets - Fuchsia 'Trailing Mix', Sherbet Lemon, Eton Mess, and Tutti Frutti.

We didn't discuss the annuals but I did say that I don't want to have as many pots out this year ... of course, that's what I'm saying now but I may forget that when I'm tempted by all the pretty colours in the garden centres! The blue pots of spring bulbs will be moved behind the garage when it's time to put out the pots for the annuals and once the bulbs have died back the pots will be moved into the garage until the autumn. All I'm really sure of is that I'm going for the taller cosmos this year but still have to make a decision on what else I want ... I have a very long list of possibilities but there really won't be space for too much this year. Longer term, I'm hoping to get a small container grown acer, or maybe two, to go against the back wall of the house in the space between the two sets of patio doors. 

We also discussed my alternative to the arches. I'm sold on the idea of small trellis planters like this one as I think they are more in keeping with the new fencing. It's definitely a much cheaper option - I still have to measure properly but think there is room for three of them - and they will still add some height to that side of the patio without dominating the space. More importantly, I think they will do a better job of blocking the drop down to the path but won't block as much of the morning light as the arches would have done. I haven't given too much thought to what they will be planted with and it may be that they won't have anything planted in them this year but I would like to get them by next month, assuming that R, the landscaper, will collect and deliver them for me! 

Comments

  1. How could M not be pleased with your new fencing and trellis, they look fantastic. I had a look at the planters and they are very nice, I hope you can arrange to have them delivered for you. I do love fuchsias and the Trailing Mix is lovely, I've admired that in someone's garden I pass on my walks. The plans for your garden are are coming together nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garden feels very different to me with the new fencing and trellises, much cosier, and M said exactly the same thing. S is sure that R will sort out the planters for me and he'll ask him next time he sees him. I love fuchsias but don't really have room for a big bush of it so was delighted to find the trailing plants for the hanging baskets.

      Delete
  2. We also love fuchsias and have 3 bushes, two in the front garden and one in the back garden. When we moved to this house like you we had so many pots, but over the years we have reduced the number we have. Currently down to 6 3 very large including 2 barrels, however I have decided to get rid of another 2 this Autumn. The problem with pots is they dry out so quickly and even up on Dartmoor where there is lots of rain they require so much water. But they do add lots of colour. Helen S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that the pots can be hard work which is why I've reduced the numbers this year. I'll still need to keep on top of the watering but it won't take quite as long every time ... that's the plan anyway.

      I'm envious of your fuchsia bushes. The fuchsia was my Mum's favourite and I always think of her when I see them.

      Delete
  3. Yeah to the return of M for another productive & beautiful gardening year. Your garden does look very cozy with the new fence & trellis, a perfect place to begin & end the day & sit mid day to refresh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been thinking about where I want my seating area to be and whether I want one or two areas. AT the moment, two areas are winning - one for eating which is near the house and one for dreaming which is behind the garage. I'm also trying to decide what I need/want in the way of garden furniture ... all these decisions are giving me brain ache!

      Delete
  4. I, too, love your wall trellises and think the trellis planters will look good. Those hanging planters will provide lots of color, too. Glad your M is back, tending to your garden. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. I will definitely get those trellis planters as soon as I can save the money. I'm hoping the hanging baskets will do well ... M doesn't really like them but I think they'll look good. It was good to see M again and catch up on how she's getting on.

      Delete
  5. Thanks Lyssa, I hope so ☺️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts