Thursday 2nd June

153/365: the Eden rose 
 

I sat in the spare bedroom yesterday and pondered the problem. It looks messy however I arrange things and the main reason for that is that there is only the under bed storage, but no cupboards. My initial thought was that I need to buy a tall cupboard but I don't think that's really the complete solution. This is the smallest room and is supposed to be for guests and, prior to the first lockdown, that's how I kept the room - bed, chair, small bedside table with a small hanging rack for their clothes. However, during lockdown I started using all the rooms differently and while every other room is fine this one doesn't 'work' properly, mainly because it's also become the home for the exercise bike, laundry basket, and the dressmaker's form.  

I still want the room to be ready for guests as I'm sure I will eventually start inviting friends to stay again (just not yet!) but I've also started using it as a sort of dressing room and I want to continue doing that. To cut out all the waffle of my thought process, I've arrived at the conclusion that there isn't enough room for the exercise bike or the dressmaker's form but the laundry basket can stay there and just be moved out to the landing when someone comes to stay. I have plenty of cupboards in the playroom and my bedroom for my needs so I don't need another one in the spare bedroom but am pondering about installing a single wardrobe to improve the room as a dressing room. If I do that it means that the current built-in wardrobe in my bedroom will have space and maybe that can eventually be the home for the dressmaker's form. The only problem is the exercise bike ... aren't they always? My sister gave it to me as she didn't have room for it (!) and, although I initially used it regularly, it's now a bit of a clothes horse. I could quite easily get rid of it but am hesitating because, if I do have to have a knee replacement operation, I will need to use the bike afterwards. I haven't decided what to do on that one yet. 

There's no rush as the cost of a new wardrobe means that it's moved down the list ... the extra storage in the kitchen and the central heating issues are both higher priority and have first claim on the finances. In the meantime I can start looking for wardrobes and get an idea of the cost.

I'm taking a break from household things until next week so that I can enjoy the Jubilee celebrations. Sadly it looks like my plans for tomorrow may have fallen through - friends think they may have Covid - so I have to decide what to do instead. The Jubilee street party in the Close is an option but I have declined and don't want to mess the organisers about and, to be honest, it'll be too many people for me to feel comfortable even though it will be outside. L may come over and we'll have a bit of a film fest, but she isn't feeling too good either so again it depends! I'm sure I'll find something to do. 😊

Comments

  1. My exercise bike ended up in the conservatory and then I gave it to my daughter who eventually passed it on to I know not whom so I think this is their fate, they seem like such a good idea at the time. What a shame about your plans for tomorrow but I hope your friends test negative for Covid and I hope your planned event can go ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm coming round to accept that I will be getting rid of the exercise bike in the near future ... there just isn't room for it and I keep banging my hip on it when I need to open the window in that room.

      I have a back up plan now and will spend time with L. They've all confirmed they have Covid so original plans will have to wait until they are better.

      Delete
  2. Maybe leave the exercise bike in the spare room until you do invite overnight guests and then, move it to your bedroom for the duration of the visit? Or, is there a spot for it in the music room?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good idea but it's too heavy for me to move and the spare bedroom is too small to accommodate it really. There isn't room in the music room and I want to keep that room just for music if I can.

      Delete
  3. Hopefully you friends will not have covid and you can keep to you original plans .Do think you could contact the organiser and explain your situation theyd be happy for you to join in ( its surely worth a try

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, they've confirmed positive tests so we won't be meeting up until they are better. I'm going to spend time with my friend L instead.

      I could easily go to the street party but there will be over 50 people in a relatively small space and that's too many people for me to feel comfortable.

      Delete
  4. Such a beautiful rose. It's surprising what the room will "tell" you when you sit & do nothing but listen to the situation, the ideas, the solutions. Hoping that your friends are all healthy quickly. Even outdoors I'd worry about how many people are there. Maybe just dip your toe into the event, but standing at your front & say hello as people move about ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is beautiful and is covered in buds but seems to have forgotten that it's a climber... it's getting wider, not taller!

      My friends have confirmed positive tests so I have arranged to see L instead

      Delete
  5. Lovely rose. Sorry about your plans with friends! Hope they aren't too ill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. It's not completely unexpected - someone always seems to have Covid or been in close contact with Covid, We're learning to work around it! I hope they'll both be okay. x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts