Friday 17th June

168/365: (slightly out of focus!) salvia

I spent a good part of yesterday morning trying to track down a parcel. The courier had confirmed delivery on Wednesday evening but wherever they had delivered it to, it wasn't here. I didn't really get any sense out of the company I ordered from and it was left that they would contact their courier for proof of delivery - the couriers take a photo of the parcel on your doorstep as proof now, rather than getting a signature - and then within an hour of the company requesting proof of delivery I received an email from the courier confirming delivery for yesterday (Thursday), from which I assume that the confirmation of delivery on Wednesday was false. Did it arrive yesterday? Absolutely no sign of it, so I'll be phoning the customer service department as soon as they open at 9 o'clock. It's a plant so the delay in delivery, especially in this hot weather, is a concern. 

The large zippered laundry bags arrived and the spare quilt and blankets fit perfectly in one of them so that particular storage issue has been resolved ... many thanks for the suggestion Marlene. I bought two bags but only needed one of them for the bedding, so I'll probably use the second one for the out of season clothes ... I only have a single wardrobe so swap things round twice a year.

I've added a new-to-me event to the diary. I had a leaflet through the door advertising numerous regular events organised by a Bradford on Avon pub and a couple were of interest, although I will have to move my piano lesson to be able to do one of them. The first one is a 'Ladies That Lunch' meal which is once a month on a Friday lunchtime and I've booked a place on the next one, July 1st, just to try it out. The other one is similar but is for men and women and is once every four weeks on a Wednesday ... it's called 'Chatty Wednesday'. I'll see how I get on with the Thursday one before I start trying to rearrange my piano lesson though, and I'm also expecting a call back from the PT so those sessions still have to be fitted in.

Last night's TV was good. Eat Well for Less featured a family from Trowbridge who I recognised and that was followed by Who Do You Think You Are. It was Matt Lucas this week and his family story was so emotional ... I teared up more than once. I didn't know that he is Jewish or that his family originated from Germany so, as you can imagine, the programme focused on what happened to his German relations during World War II. 

It's the nutrition focus class this morning and the topic is either eating for positive emotions or eating for healthy blood sugar and preventing diabetes ... the nutritionist is dealing with a family bereavement and the timetable has gone a bit awry this month. Both topics interest me so I will definitely join the class and see what tips I can pick up. That's the only thing in the diary though so the day is free to follow the tennis. 🙂

Comments

  1. What a worry about what's happened to your parcel and that sounds very odd confirming delivery on two different days but it's up to the company you ordered from to sort it out so I hope you get an answer today. Ladies That Lunch sounds very nice, a good way to make new friends I would have thought. Enjoy the tennis again today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tracking information for the parcel confirmed it as 'delivered' on Wednesday night. According to the lady on Customer Service, "they sometimes do this but it doesn't mean they have delivered it!". The status is currently showing as 'unavailable at this time' so I have no idea what is happening at the moment.

      I'm hoping the Ladies That Lunch meals will provide the opportunity to meet a different group of people and the same with the Chatty Wednesday meals if I can arrange a new time for the piano lesson.

      Delete
  2. Is your nutrition class on zoom, it does sound very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of the Goldster online classes and yes, it is on Zoom. After a month's free trial it costs £9.99 for unlimited access to their classes but if you are thinking of doing the nutrition classes I'd suggest waiting a week to get the most out of your free trial as the nutritionist is away next week for her father's funeral

      Delete
  3. I do hope you will receive your plants soon and they will be fine even after being in transit over several days in the heat! Why would they say "delivered" if the item was not delivered?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that there is 'no problem' until tomorrow as the courier has a contract to deliver within five days so the company won't do anything until they are officially late in delivering. I hope this means that they expect the plants to arrive in good condition even if it takes the full five day period to arrive. I have no idea why they would say it's delivered when it hasn't been ... it's an odd system!

      Delete
  4. My horse ladies group use to meet monthly for dress up & lunch ... we called ourselves Horse Ladies Who Lunch (col). Maybe it is time to revive that. I hope these new to you groups help with your social needs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Resuming the Horse Ladies Who Lunch will be a fun thing to add back into your life. I don't really know what to expect from the event I've signed up for and don't know what age group(s) attend or whether they dress up for it but it seems like something that I will enjoy so am going to give it a try.

      Delete
  5. I keep forgetting about Eat Well for Less - thank you for reminding me. I had a huge, massive, heaped pile of blankets and ordered ten extra large laundry bags to put them in. I filled one and a half and feel a right twit. I'm sure that I'll find plenty of uses though. You have a wonderfully packed programme. It sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are useful bags to have, which is just as well if you have that many to use up!

      I'm always shocked at the amount of money people spend on food in the Eat Well For Less programme. It's always an eye opener that they can't always spot when their usual brands have been changed which makes me think I should experiment with that myself.

      Delete
  6. I thought of you when "Eat Well for Less" came on! Great episode - what a nice family and what a wonderful little boy. I always enjoy that programme, even though it's basically the same every time. I never stop wondering at how much some people waste - food, time and money. I never bin any food, but I suppose it depends on the family you grow up in. I know some of my friends throw loads away, including once half a bottle of cassis that went down the drain, because they found a second in the cupboard! Imagine not even finding a taker for any surplus.

    "Who Do You Think You Are?" is shaping up to be a very interesting series. Matt Lucas' episode was astonishing, in that he was able to visit so many places which ancestors had frequented. The lecture theatre was amazing! As for his grandmother's childhood home, that front door and possibly the window frames looked original - I'd've been stroking them! Really enjoyed seeing the Frank family's flat. I enjoyed Richard Osman's story too, specially his reflections throughout and at the end, which were more insightful and original than most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the little boy, a great little character even at that age. I despair about how much people waste and how it is taken for granted as part of life. Some of my friends mention in passing that they have thrown food away and they can't understand how I don't but that's the difference in the ways we were brought up.

      This series of WDYTYA is proving to be much better than the previous one. I enjoyed Richard Osman's story but especially liked the Matt Lucas episode. Yes, the fact that he was able to visit places that his ancestors had frequented was very different from other's stories and the link with the Frank family and seeing their flat was rather special. Yes, I'd have been stroking the front door at his grandmother's childhood home as well ... it was oozing history!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts