I Survived!



Yesterday's swimming lesson was a focus on survival training. We were asked to wear three items of clothing on top of our swimming costumes ... a long sleeved t-shirt, a hoodie or fleece, and skirt or trousers. The emphasis was on the (heavy) weight of the clothing worn, so we weren't dressing for style, and we were asked to make the lesson as meaningful as possible so, as I rarely wear trousers, I opted for a skirt as that's more likely what I'd be wearing if I did fall into water anywhere.

Swimming in clothes like that was exhausting, but it was a good session and it gave us the chance to compare the different strokes (doggy paddle and/or breaststroke are the best options) and also to practice floating in clothes. I had one big panic ... when I tried to stand up from floating on my back my skirt had wrapped itself around my forearms and I couldn't use my arms to right myself. I carried on floating and worked my arms free, then stood up safe and sound, but initially it did scare me. The only thing I didn't manage to do is switch from floating on my front to floating on my back, so that's something I will need to work on until I feel confident about doing it.

On to today and I have personal training first thing but that's the only thing in the diary. I will have to wait in until the two parcels I'm expecting are delivered and then I may take the car out for a long run. It's supposed to be a sunny day so I may be able to take a few photographs if the parcels arrive while the light is still good enough ... fingers crossed. 

Comments

  1. You are doing really well with your swimming lessons, sounds like you have an excellent teacher xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, it sounds a good lesson to have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you survived! A very practical lesson, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, I couldn't have done that.. well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done! I remember doing something similar when I learned to swim as a child. We had to swim in our Pyjamas. Not sure why you'd be in the water in your pjs but I suppose it was something children could bring to swim in.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts