Sunday, 5 April 2015

95/365: The Wishing Rock

So far this year my decluttering efforts have been focused on the things I want to get rid of.  All very necessary as there is so much that needs to go, but this month I'm having a bit of a change and will be looking at the special items I want to keep.

Sorry about the rubbish photo - I don't know why it was so difficult to get a decent image loaded but unfortunately, this was the best I could do.  It's actually a much darker grey and both the lines around it are white, not the orangey colour that has appeared since Blogger has (yet again!) lightened and altered the exposure.

I don't know what type of rock it is; I've been told literally hundreds of time but seem to have a slight problem retaining the information! It always brings to mind one of the Easter Island statues only this is much, much smaller, only about 7 inches tall and it now sits quite comfortably on my living room window sill.  I don't know whether he bought it or found it, but it was in Ced's house the first time I went there and it's been in every home we've had since.  I can't image not seeing it every day, so of course it is staying. 

Rocks and stones like this, with the white veins forming a complete circle, are known as 'wishing stones'.  Each circle is supposed to give you one wish, so we were doubly lucky as this one has two!

3 comments:

  1. Not only is it a lovely item to look at but a lovely story behind it. I have never heard of a wishing stone, shall be looking for one now :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a very intriguing rock and looks like it would be very tactile. I never knew they were called wishing stones. What would be your two wishes then? Special Teaching at Pempi’s Palace

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a little "lucky" pebble in my handbag. Mr M found it on a beach somewhere and gave it to me because it has the circle of white quartz that makes it very lucky. I have never met anyone else who knew about that white line/wish thing before, we obvioulsy went to the same school of mythology

    ReplyDelete