104/365: L is for ... the Liquorice Allsorts Money Box


So far this year my decluttering efforts have been focused on the things I want to get rid of.  All very necessary as there is so much that needs to go, but this month I'm having a bit of a change and will be looking at the special items I want to keep.
 
Click here to see the list of blogs participating in the 2015 A to Z Challenge.

 
People never knew what to buy us for presents; we were the sort of couple that had everything we wanted and anything we did still want was way too expensive!  The kids always used to buy us Bassetts Liquorice Allsorts - our favourites.  Ced had a particular way of sharing them out where he took all the ones he liked and left the rest for me.  Or another way of looking at is was, he took all the best ones and left me the boring ones. He even did it when he was in hospital near the end, although at that stage he had to give me instructions and I had to do the sharing. It gives you some idea of the charm of the man that he always got away with it, although when he was in hospital I did manage to eat some of the nicer ones when I was sharing them out!
 
This money box was given to us one Christmas. I've always used it to save my small change and then treat myself with the contents once a year and that's what I'll continue to do. It is however, a reminder of a small but important part of our life together which is the real reason it's staying.

Comments

  1. Sounds like it should definitely stay! A lovely story. I am not a fan of liquorice. The only ones I would fish out would be those jelly ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fun item and several good reasons for keeping it. I have a ceramic liquorice allsorts pot that came full of sweets. My sister got it for me one year as she was so fed up of my guessing the contents of my gifts before I'd unwrapped them. She knew I'd be expecting different shaped box! One of these days stuff like this will be popping up on Antiques Roadshow!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. some happy memories as you sort through things.
    Happy A to Zing

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is cute. I had to laugh that Ced would take what he enjoyed and leave the rest for you; sort of going through a box of chocolates! It is neat too how you save change in it and then use it to splurge on something for yourself yearly :)

    I know how hard it is to find gifts for people who are hard to shop for. We had the problem with hubby's parents every year. Then we found out years later we were having to dispose of that we looked so hard to buy for them. That's why I think I like the concept of gift cards :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the money box! So adorable. I've never heard of liquorice allsorts but I do love RJ's "soft-eating" licorice in the raspberry flavor...
    What a beautiful keepsake you have there. Fun memories attached to it too...
    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts