116/365: the Lindisfarne Sketch


So far this year my decluttering efforts have been focused on the things I want to get rid of.  All very necessary as there is so much that needs to go, but this month I'm having a bit of a change and will be looking at the special items I want to keep.


I've already written about our last minute holiday to Lindisfarne.  When we were there I'd wanted to buy a painting of the castle but really didn't like any of the ones in my price range so came home slightly disappointed that I hadn't managed to buy one.  We had photos of the castle but, as it was the tourist season, there were too many people about to get the shot I wanted.
 
Some weeks after we got back, Ced toddled off to a car boot sale on his own and came back with the framed sketch you can see in the photo.  He said that as soon as he saw it he knew it was exactly what I wanted so he was prepared to get it for me, no matter what the price. I was over the moon and secretly chuffed that he was prepared to spend all this money on me; it turns out that he paid the astronomical price of ... 50 pence (approx. $0.74).  The last of the big spenders!

Comments

  1. But it was the thought that counted, right?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. fabulous story, lovely that he just knew what you wanted - sometimes its just not the price tag that matters is it :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely story, thank you for sharing, some of the best presents cost very little or sometimes nothing x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely story - it is wonderful to her the stories behind your treasures, Eileen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Eileen, worth the wait! This sketch of the castle is amazing! Beautiful painting! Hugs and good Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sometimes think that getting a bargain just adds to the "specialness" of an item and it certainly is a classic view and beautiful sketch of Lindisfarne and being framed just right too is amazing :) Have a lovely Sunday night!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that Lindisfarne Castle looks like a ship. Even when you stand up there it feels like a ship too. I love the sketch and the story behind it makes it beyond price.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts