106/365: N is for ... the Nutcracker


So far this year my decluttering efforts have been focused on the things I want to get rid of.  All very necessary as there is so much that needs to go, but this month I'm having a bit of a change and will be looking at the special items I want to keep.

Click here to see the list of blogs participating in the 2015 A to Z Challenge.


Nutcrackers ... we've had all sorts over the years, none of which worked particularly well so we were always buying a 'better' one.  We'd had an identical one to the one in the photo which worked fine, but it disappeared ... a long story, but we think it was thrown on the fire by mistake ... so we bought this one as a replacement.  It is difficult to believe that it is the same design.  This one definitely has a mind of it's own ... it's lethal and if you don't position the nut properly it'll shoot out and hit you on the head! Every Christmas after buying this one, we ended up using a hammer to crack the nuts - so much safer!

So why am I keeping it?  Because, once you got the knack, it was possible to use it to make the nut hit a target and we wasted a whole afternoon once doing just that ... obviously he was better at it than me and won every time, but it's still a very happy memory.

Comments

  1. Hi Eileen .. don't we all keep things we perhaps don't need, or get rid of them and then find we want one .. I love the idea of you using to make the nut spin towards the wall and its target - loads of fun to be had there .. and I'm sure it's the day that brings the memory and keeps it ..

    Good to meet you and hope you're enjoying the A-Z - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what a wonderful picture that conjures ... and time well spent with someone you love is never wasted. firing nuts from a nut cracker and hitting a target is a fantastic way to spend an afternoon. I bet you laughed for days about it and the sight of the nut cracker makes you smile every time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have noit seen a nutcracker like that. Very unusual! We "cheat" and buy the nuts already cracked :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. We used to have a pair of nutcrackers like that ... I wonder where they are. Maybe they could be recommissioned for the alternative purpose - although I'm not sure how well that would go down!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts