105/365: M is for ... the Matryoshka Dolls


So far this year my decluttering efforts have been focused on the things I want to get rid of.  All very necessary as there is so much that needs to go, but this month I'm having a bit of a change and will be looking at the special items I want to keep.
 
Click here to see the list of blogs participating in the 2015 A to Z Challenge.

 
My Mum had always wanted a set of these dolls and eventually she got her wish, a couple of years or so before she died.  I'm not sure where these came from but they had pride of place in her room and she treasured them. 

They were one of the things I chose to keep and sometimes, as a special treat, I allow her great grandchildren (my great nieces and nephews) to open them up and see all the dolls.  They are all too young to remember my Mum but know who she was and know some of the family stories about her.  They also know that these were her dolls, and it's another way of keeping her memory alive for them ... and for me. 

Comments

  1. Those dolls are gorgeous - no wonder you want to keep them! The skill it must have taken to pain the little ones! (I'm assuming they're hand painted?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous dolls - I love the story that goes with it and that the memory of your Mum lives on.

    I have a set of (not so grand) dolls. When my grandson was small he loved to play with them - usually they became soldiers or part of some fantasy figure game!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to discover your blog. Love the dolls!
    A to Z blogger

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those are beautiful. Are they hand-painted? Wonderful story too. It's so nice to have something tangible that helps keep a loved one's memory alive...
    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
  5. So unique! I've seen sets but not of these many dolls in them. Very colorful! I think its neat you let the "young ones" play with them. Good opportunity to share stories of your mom as they do so :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was given a set that looks like a monkey. How did they know I liked monkeys? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous. I had a set that was not half as nice, which my daughter loved to play with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are quite small. The biggest one is only about 4 inches tall.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts