109/365: Laura's Art

So far this year my decluttering efforts have been focused on the things I want to get rid of.  All very necessary as there is so much that needs to go, but this month I'm having a bit of a change and will be looking at the special items I want to keep.

 
First of all, apologies for the strange angle; it was propped up on the sofa and I was trying to avoid reflections!  This will eventually be on the wall in the music room/study.  I'm just waiting to buy the new book cases and then I'll work out where it can go.

Apart from the fact that I like it, this is so special to me for two reasons. Number one is that it was made by my niece, Laura, as part of her A level art course and, although others wanted it, I was the lucky one.  The second reason is that the vase featured belonged to my Mum and Laura chose it to be the theme for several of her exam pieces.  I don't know how Mum got the vase but it was always on the window sill in the living room for as long back as I can remember. When old age saw my Mum going to live with my sister the vase went too and had pride of place in the dining room, which meant that my sister's children all grew up with it just as we did. 

It now it belongs to my sister but this collage is a way of having Mum's vase in my home as well.

Comments

  1. I love this picture - what fabulous colours, your niece is very talented. What a lovely thing to have to keep - feels like it joins generations somehow with its back story x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful and the story to go with it is just lovely. Your April A-Z this month is so interesting. H for that beautiful horse right through to L for Laura's art passing that lovely officers cap, the killer nutcracker and mums matryoshka dolls made for a lovely catch up for me this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like it; your niece did a very nice job with it! So colorful!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good afternoon Eileen, that gorgeous screen and full of beautiful and fond memories! Your niece is a great artist! A painting to be highlighted in your House remembering her mother. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely cheerful picture, Eileen, no wonder you want to keep it. I love how many will remember the vase and that you now enjoy it in your own home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A picture to be treasured and I love the story about it too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very striking. I'm trying to work out if it is a collage or painted to look like one. Anyway the style and colours remind me a lot of Gaudi (cf. Park Guell) with a nod to Picasso's Sunflowers. And she was just a teenager!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a collage using paint swatches from the DIY stores! I know that she had to produce work in the style of a chosen artist - she did a fire guard, featuring the same vase, in the style of Cezanne. I'm not sure if all her work was in the style of the same artist or whether each piece was based on the style of a different artist. This was completed in the second year of her exam course so I think she would have been 17 or 18 years old.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts