92/365: B is for ... the Ballerina


So far this year my decluttering efforts have been focused on the things I want to get rid of.  All very necessary as there is so much that needs to go, but this month I'm having a bit of a change and will be looking at the special items I want to keep.

Click here to see the list of blogs participating in the 2015 A to Z Challenge.


This one of several ballerina statuettes that were gifts from Ced, not for any special occasions but to mark a story from my childhood which he found extremely amusing. I don't have an actual memory of this so it's only what I've been told, but I'll tell you the story now ...  before I begin, you'll need to know that my sister's name is Ena, my name is Eileen and that we are twins, so were always treated the same - what one got, the other one had too. 
 
Anyway, we weren't very old, probably only about five or six, and were watching the newly acquired television.  I don't think anyone remembers which programme we were watching, but it featured ballet and of course the ballerinas in their beautiful tutus. After a while Ena turned to Mum and said "Mum, when I grow up can I be a ballerina?".  Then, not to be outdone ... you know what's coming don't you! ... I apparently turned to Mum and said "Mum, when I grow up can I be a ballereileen?".
 
Ced thought this was hysterical and it's one of the (many) stories that gave him, and my siblings, a good laugh at my expense.  I prefer to think that it shows me as cute rather than dim, but I'm not sure they'd agree with me!

Comments

  1. Definitely cute! I didn't get it at first until I re-read your post to see that your sister's name is Ena. I like your small child logic actually!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute! I can see why you would want to keep the ballerina in honor of ballereileen :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Ballereileen - that is one of the cutest children's stories I've heard about the way children hear things in a literal sense before they learn how funky our language can be. Completely understandable and adorable. The statue is beautiful on its own, but as a gift from Ced to commemorate a delightful tale, it's definitely a keeper.

    I love this theme as a counter to your very productive cleansing activity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Priceless! In all senses :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a theme. I am always de-cluttering. And as soon as I do, someone (one of my sons) asks me if I still have it. ARRRGGGHHHH!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant and beautiful ballereileen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how sweet, Ballereileen :) A super story. I always loved the ballerina art of Degas when I was young.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a cute story! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts