Thursday

Yesterday's Nutrition Club was excellent and just what I need at this stage of my life as I work on reviewing and tweaking my own food choices and eating habits.

It's a Zoom session run by a qualified nutritionist, C. It's one of a linked series of three nutrition related sessions each week but each session is complete in its own right. This one is quite informal; C talks about a food related subject and then participants have the chance to ask questions and/or share tips with everyone. C is also running a similar session on Fridays but that one will focus on discussing nutritional advice for specific medical needs: this week the focus in on blood pressure and next week will be osteoarthritis. As part of this session C will share a list of four or five recipes that will be of benefit to anyone suffering from the condition under discussion. This then links in with the final session, Nutritional Chef, when J will demonstrate how to cook two or three of the recipes mentioned in the Friday focus.

In yesterday's club session the topic was reducing your salt intake, so of interest to me with the impact of too much salt on blood pressure and weight loss. C gave lots of suggestions, reminders really, of other ways to flavour food and quite a few people shared information about the products they use as an alternative to salt. At the same time she discussed the need for adequate hydration and the negative effects of too much salt on our bodies. It was a very informative session and, although I don't use massive amounts of salt, there is still more I can do to reduce my salt intake ... so I will! 

I will go (online) to this Friday's focus as she is talking about what can be done to improve blood pressure through diet, but I won't necessarily bother with all of the focus sessions ... it'll depend on which medical condition is under discussion. 

On to today and there's plenty in the diary, starting with a leisurely chat with J this morning. At lunchtime I've signed up to watch an online demo of Indian cooking - I don't know which recipes will be included in the demo but I'm sure I will enjoy this. It's another regular feature, not connected in any way with the nutrition sessions, and I'm hoping to increase my repertoire of Indian recipes. Later this afternoon is an online talk, The London No-One Tells You About, which I have high hopes for. I never plan to have so many things on one day, it's just the way it works out!

Comments

  1. The nutrition sessions sound excellent. The London No-One Tells You About sounds very interesting and would appeal to me as my son lives and works in London. Unfortunately I haven't been there for about five years and I think I've done all the touristy things over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nutrition sessions will be a useful resource over the next few months.

      I've never been to Madame Tussauds so that's still on the list, but the more I read about London the more I realise there is still to see.

      Delete
  2. It all sounds really good, very helpful and very practical.
    Have a lovely day.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely going to provide a lot of help and ideas to pick through ... another example of the right thing turning up at the right time!

      Hope you have a good day too xx

      Delete
  3. Yeah to some good informative online workshops. Salts & sugars are hidden in so many foods. I don't cook with nor use salt myself. I was surprised how much salt/sodium is in prepared soups, which disappoints me because some are quite tasty without being salty. I look forward to hearing about the London no one talks about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only add salt when boiling potatoes but never to other veg. I've stopped buying processed foods as much as possible so salt and sugar aren't as big an issue to resolve as it would once have been. She clarified the difference between table salt (sodium chloride) and sea salt and explained why sea salt and the Himalayan salts are the better option, which is what I will use from now on.

      Delete
  4. The nutrition sessions sound like something we could all benefit from. I know I get in a habit with my eating when it would be better to vary it more taking nutrition into special consideration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nutrition session was excellent and I am sure the others will be too. I find the subject interesting anyway but the fact that some of the sessions will be very relevant to my own needs mean I will continue to follow the sessions.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad the nutrition session was helpful, Eileen. Sounds like you will get more personalized guidance through these sessions. You have a busy day scheduled! Hope the Indian cookery demonstration is helpful. And the talk on London sounds fun! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been lucky to find such a good resource just when I need it. The cookery demo was great but the London talk wasn't!

      Delete
  6. The nutrition session sounds very interesting.
    I usually add too little salt when cooking, according to my friends. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're doing the right thing then as the aim for the majority is to reduce the amount of salt in our diets. The nutrition sessions have all been very interesting.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts