Wednesday

I'd been told to expect a parcel, which arrived yesterday as promised. I opened it up and found this ...


... afternoon tea for two. What you can't see in the photo is two pots of clotted cream underneath the cakes, two scotch eggs underneath the quiches, two sausage rolls and two cheese and pickle rolls underneath the tea bags. Oh, and two vanilla scones in the paper bag. I followed instructions and phoned L and P before I opened the box; they then sent a Zoom link for early evening when we, together with E who'd received an identical parcel, shared afternoon tea together. They'd chosen the savoury tea box because they thought there would be more of a selection of things I could eat, which was incredibly thoughtful of them. It probably hasn't helped my diet at all but it definitely cheered me up. It's a lot of food and most of the pastry items have been wrapped individually and frozen for the occasional treat, and the cakes, clotted cream, and tea bags were given to my neighbours. During our Zoom tea party I had one of the quiches and both scones with some of the jam, which was plenty for me. Oh, and some coffee of course! It was a complete surprise and such a lovely idea. 

The afternoon was taken up with two of the online talks. The first one, Am I Descended From A Viking?, was excellent. It covered quite a bit of ground that I already knew but did give some examples relating to a person's DNA and the continuity of that DNA through the family line which just made it so easy to follow. The talk also reminded me that using my Ancestry DNA results on other genealogy sites may be worthwhile as there is a chance of finding connections to other DNA matches who don't use the Ancestry site. I've added that to my to-do list.

The second talk, Folklore, Folk Tales and Funny Folk, was a little disappointing. The speaker was a Toastmaster and, I am sure, excellent in that situation but unfortunately I found him rather irritating. That, added to the fact that there was no new-to-me information, left me feeling rather dissatisfied. I love quirky facts but this just didn't do it for me!

Today, it's the first Nutrition Club, again held online. This will be run by the Nutritionist I stumbled across the other week and I have been looking out for this club to be advertised. If I've remembered correctly this will be a chance to chat, in a group, about anything and everything nutrition related and should be interesting. 

That's the only thing in the diary for today. As for the rest of the day, the forecast is dire and I won't be going out so as well as the usual Italian practice, piano practice, and some reading, I want to continue with the family tree research. That should keep be busy for most of the day. 

Comments

  1. What a lovely thoughtful gift for you, it all looks delicious. I had an idea the Viking talk would be interesting and spreading your DNA results on another site is a good idea something I did although I've lost my researching mojo now. Unfortunately the weather forecast is for heavy rain and strong winds so not fit for venturing outside. Enjoy your day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Viking talk was excellent and I will watch out for others by the same speaker. It's a cold, wet day here, and so dark I've had the lights on since early this morning - all indoor amusements today!

      Hope you have a good day too xx

      Delete
  2. I really like the tea party in a box. Teapigs made me chuckle. One of the churches in the village next ours was doing this as a fun raiser, I am now feeling sad I didn't part take. It makes me miss our countryside wandering drives knowing we'll end up at a tea house for scones. Let's hope the Nutrition online club chat today is a perfect match.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pleasant surprise ... the last thing I was expecting when I opened the box was to find an afternoon tea. 🙂

      The nutrition club was brilliant and it's going to be a weekly event for me.

      Delete
  3. How truly lovely! It must have been such fun.

    I hope the nutrition club is as helpful and enjoyable as you anticipate.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a lovely and thoughtful gift and the Zoom tea party was brilliant.

      I'm writing about the nutrition club in tomorrow's post ... it was excellent, just what I need.

      Delete
  4. Oooooh! I think I would have cried if I had opened that! What a lovely, lovely, kind idea (AND you got a "comfort food" photo in the bargain!). Well done on being so abstemious and sharing some of it around. Don't know if I would have had the willpower ... but that might be why I am getting so huge!

    My fave non-tea tea is Teapigs Sweet Ginger. You have to order it direct (for some weird reason some of their flavours are not sold in supermarkets) but I asked for a big box for my birthday last year, and Dad obliged. I have two bags left and a box that I got for Christmas ready-in-waiting. (Fascinating.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think about it as a possible WPSH photo so thanks for that - one more ticked off the list! It was a lovely thing to do, but that's what they're like. I'm lucky to know them.

      I didn't know teapigs did alternatives. You got me with 'ginger' so I may have gone online and ordered samples of the sweet ginger and the ginger & lemon - 2 of each, so not the cheapest way of trying them out but worth it if I end up liking them. The sweet ginger contains licorice root so I won't be able to have that too often (because of hypertension) which is why I'm trying the one with lemon as well as that doesn't contain licorice. I'll let you know how I get on ... and thanks for mentioning it. Definitely fascinating!

      Delete
  5. Ooh, what a lovely surprise! A boxed "tea for two" all delivered to you! And all to be enjoyed over a Zoom call with friends! I love it! Everything looks so delicious, too. Very kind of you to share with your neighbors. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely surprise. I gave away the things I couldn't eat (cream), and the things I didn't like (tea bags, and I don't like that sort of topping on cakes) but they enjoyed them and if was nice to share the treat even if it wasn't really that generous on my part!

      Delete
  6. Afternoon tea for two! how delightful! What a treat :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum - what a lovely treat!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts