Friday

Yesterday's Indian cookery demo was another good find and will become a regular Thursday lunchtime session for me. This was the very first demo by Monica, who runs her own Indian cookery schools in Birmingham and Manchester. This session went back to basics and she took us through the spices that she uses the most, explaining the flavour each individual spice will add to the finished dish. I've done this before when I went to a local Indian cookery course so, to start with, this was a refresher. The only spice she mentioned that I don't currently use, and haven't ever heard of, is amchoor (mango powder) so I will try to get hold of some of that. Near the end of the session she demonstrated how to toast two of the spices, cumin seeds and coriander seeds, which she then ground and stored in an air-tight jar. I'm out of shop bought cumin powder but have some seeds so will have a go at this before the next session. Monica will be cooking a recipe next time so I will definitely be tuning in. 

The London talk was okay-ish. Maybe I've just listened to too many of these but there weren't any new stories or information and unfortunately, it was the same speaker as the Folklore, Folk Tales and Funny Folk talk I'd listened to on Tuesday so that didn't help! Maybe I'll take a break from them for a while.

Today it's the Nutrition Focus on blood pressure so I will listen to that. It's supposed to be sunny for a good part of the day so I hope to at least get out in the garden for some fresh air and maybe take some photos. Apart from that I have a couple of letters to write and then I'd like to carry on with the family tree - I found the details of a William B who from the dates could be any one of the three William Bs in my tree; I'm hoping I can determine the link as the record is for the court sentencing of a William B who was sentenced to transportation for larceny. Like all genealogists I love to find this sort of information in my tree as it all adds to the family story! 

Comments

  1. Glad you enjoyed the refresher course on Indian spices. :) Too bad the London talk wasn't quite what you had expected it to be. Hope today's nutrition session will be helpful. Hope you have a good day. Enjoy your walk and researching your family tree. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The refresher on Indian spices was needed - I know what spices I usually use but had stopped thinking in terms of what each spice adds to the dish. The nutrition session was helpful though I don't think I'll bother with the nutrition cooking session as they have provided detailed recipes and they are easy to follow - I thought of you as one of the recipes involves using radish greens if you have them!
      It's too wet for outside time today, but I'm having a good day despite that.

      Delete
  2. I have some mango powder and tend to add a pinch now and again. I don't know what effect it has but it seems nice.
    Is this something I could participate in/watch? Is there a link, please. It sounds really good.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were told that the mango powder adds tanginess to the dish. A substitute is to add lemon and lime juices instead which possibly helps you understand its contribution to the flavour.

      It's available to all via club.goldster.co.uk
      There is a huge variety of different classes which are currently free to view but there will be a charge, starting next month. I don't know if it will be a monthly fee or a pay per class but I'm hoping it's the first. This is where the nutrition classes are as well, plus some of the exercise classes I've done. It's worth a look.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much. It looks great.
      xx

      Delete
  3. Shame the London talk didn't live up to expectations. I do agree it's good to have some good stories to add to the family tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the problem for me is that his delivery style is a bit OTT for online talks but probably works much better for in person talks.

      I love a good family history story. I've just found someone, definitely a family member, who was incarcerated in Sing Sing prison is the US but I haven't found what he convicted of yet!

      Delete
  4. Spices & herbs are so fascinating, the history, the uses & how each culture uses. I tend to use more herbs than spices. I think blood pressure related foods & cooking session could be a source of lots new info for you & therefore us :)
    Cheers to a sunny & happy Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't quite as focused on blood pressure as I was expecting but interesting all the same. I've picked up some useful tips and can see some more changes I can make when I feel ready. I need to keep my BP stable so little changes and wait to see how it affects me is the way forward.

      Delete
  5. The Indian cookery talk sounds really good. It is so much more exciting in a family tree to find some dramas isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Indian cookery was excellent. I love spicy food and would happily add lots more Indian recipes to my diet.

      The dramas liven up the tree and make for interesting reading.

      Delete
  6. I'm interested in learning about Indian cooking as my guess is that buffets at restaurants won't ever return. I've bought some tikka masala sauce, so we'll see how that goes. I should check Youtube for some tutorials :) I look forward to hearing how your dishes turn out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are loads of YouTube videos on Indian cooking so I hope you find something you like.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts