Saturday

Thank you for your kind comments yesterday. The positive vibes worked their magic and by the evening I was back to being pain free. Today I feel better but will take things slowly. 

I did get to listen to the nutrition focus on carbohydrates yesterday. The session was packed with information but I didn't make too many notes as I can use the GI charts and the dietary fibre charts which are easily available on the internet. I have noted that 45% - 55% of the daily macronutrients in a healthy diet should be carbohydrates and the dietary fibre intake should be between 25 and 30 gms daily. I just need to work out how to relate those amounts to what I have on the plate. Claudia stressed that digestion starts with the senses when we first see the food as this triggers the production of saliva, and also how important it is to start the digestion process by chewing your food properly. Apologies for this next bit of information but if you are prone to loud, non smelly flatulence it is an indication that either you have eaten too many carbs or that you haven't broken down the food enough at the chewing stage. She also pointed out that the production of saliva diminishes if you become dehydrated and therefore impacts on the digestion process. Next week it is Mindful Eating (Wednesday) and Protein (Friday).

I'm hoping to be able to resume the walking today. I don't know if I will manage the whole 10,000 steps but I'd like to do at least half which is achievable if I take it slowly. We've been forecast an overcast day which suits me fine as I can spend a bit of time in the garden without worrying about sunshine triggering another migraine. I'd like to rearrange the pots (again!) so can move them round to see whether the idea bubbling away inside my head will look good on the patio - all the pots are empty so there's no heavy lifting involved. I can see weeds showing their heads in some of the bulb pots so I'd like to deal with that as well, which should be easy enough and something I can do seated.

Comments

  1. I'm so glad you are feeling better today. Do take it easy and don't worry about the step challenge. I went a short walk with the puppy yesterday and my body lets me know when I've had enough. As you know I have had a rough twelve months so getting back to full fitness takes time. Be kind to yourself X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trouble is that if I take it too easy I will never get back to doing anything. I get a migraine every 7 to 10 days so I have to push to get things done when I can. I've managed just over 3,000 steps and that'll be the bulk of my walking for today. The garden will wait because I was too cold and I am now tucked up on the sofa! I hope Tilly enjoyed her walk.

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear that you are feeling better, today. Hope you will take it easy and not push yourself to do too much. Enjoy your time out in the garden. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started shivering when I went outside so have postponed garden work until tomorrow and am tucked up in the warm instead. I doubt I'll move too far from the sofa!

      Delete
  3. Good to hear that you are feeling better today. My body gets used to this it will be fine.
    Thank you for sharing the course content with everyone. I am finding it so interesting. I tried the drinking water more frequently and I did feel better - even if I was up many times during the night for a loo visit but my body was probably getting used to the extra fluids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Second sentence needs to be the last one, then it might make sense!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carole. I'm glad you're finding it interesting. I was was a little anxious that it may be boring to others but I wanted to record the information for future reference and the blog seemed as good a place as any.

      Delete
  5. Eileen, it's not at all boring to me! I am particularly interested about mindful eating, I am will be interested to read your thoughts after your talk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I have read every post thoroughly, even if I haven't commented on them all. Sorry about the migraines again. They seem to be very prevalent at the moment. I got off lightly this month - but whisper it as I don't want to tempt fate.

      Delete
    2. Thank you. It's reassuring to hear that both of you are interested in the posts, and from previous comments I think there may also be other regular readers who do. I had an anonymous comment, which I deleted, saying thing along the lines of who cares, it's boring, attention seeking, etc., etc. which made me pause and wonder if I was bombarding people with unwanted info.

      I'm looking forward to the mindful eating session - we have to have a walnut or raisin ready for one of the exercises so I am intrigued to find out what we have to do with it.

      Lady Ella, fingers are crossed that you get off lightly this month. Mine was my own fault as I didn't take the medication early enough so was unable to stop it in its track.

      Delete
    3. Gosh. I didn't see that, but I haven't been around quite so much lately. You aren't bombarding anyone by blogging - people are free to visit or not, read or not, return or not. If what is relevant to you at the moment is not of interest, what's the problem? Come back next week, next month (or don't)! Sorry you felt disparaged - and by an anonymous commenter too. Noble! x

      Delete
    4. The comment was on a post older than 5 days so needed approval. I deleted it straight away so it was never published for anyone to see. If the person had put their name I probably would have published and written a response ... basically saying 'my blog, my rules' and 'don't visit if you don't like what I write about'. The tone of the comment upset me for a while, which I think was the intent, but I am over it now and will continue to write about the things that are currently affecting me. 😁😁

      Delete
  6. Eileen, I am a regular reader, although I've not commented before. I enjoy your posts very much and these have been very informative. I don't have a blog. I made my way over here from Bless's blog. Best, Celie in Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Celie, lovely to know you are visiting and thank you for taking the time to comment. I'm pleased to hear you have found the posts informative.

      Delete
  7. Eileen, I, too, find the information you provide in these blog posts to be most interesting. Some of it is information I already know, but, it bears repeating, because, very often, knowing something and following the advice can be two different things! I know I need to drink plenty of fluids and yet, I am constantly dehydrated. I know I should avoid eating certain things, but, I still crave them enough to ignore what I know. So, when I read about what you are learning and sharing with us and see how diligent you are about putting things into practice, it motivates me to do better, too. So, I thank you for posting about what you are learning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bless. I appreciate your comments and am pleased to hear you find the nutrition stuff interesting. I'm completely with you on knowing what I should do and actually doing it! I'm definitely still a work in progress even though it may seem that I'm making lots of changes. The most beneficial thing has been the repeated advice that every small change has the potential to make a big difference.

      I don't intend to give up posting about the nutrition classes. I think the comment caught me when I was feeling poorly from the migraine so upset me more than it would have at any other time.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts