Wednesday

Yesterday turned out to be a great day, just busy enough with things slotting nicely in place. I did have to admit to myself that I can be a bit dim at times though ... I've been fitting in 10,000+ steps a day, which takes about 2 hours (not all in one go though). This includes the steps completed through everyday living, housework, cooking, and just generally moving around the house, and I'm fine with this. However, the bulk of the steps are completed by choosing to walk as my daily exercise and it's this is that I struggle with, not the physical effort but I get bored and this feeling of boredom is repeated throughout the day as I split the daily total into 1,000 step chunks. I've tried listening to music as I walk which is okay but doesn't completely relieve the boredom so it's been bubbling away at the back of my mind that I need to work out exactly what will make the difference. Well, yesterday I selected an audiobook to listen to as I walked and it worked - I completely lost myself in the story and the steps happened without me constantly checking the total. To be honest, I don't know why it took me so long to work it out ... like I said, sometimes I can be a bit dim!

In the end I did watch the Nutrition Chef demo. I wasn't going to bother but changed my mind as I wondered if she'd add anything else on the nutrition side. As it turned out she didn't, but I do like that she makes suggestions on how to tweak or substitute ingredients to suit personal taste or to use what you already have to hand. I will try one of the recipes once I get my next supermarket delivery. That's due on the 27th so I'm trying to use up odds and ends to clear space in the freezer. I cooked up some veggie soup, a chicken curry, and a new fish recipe, all of which have been portioned out ready for the next few day's meals.

I made a start on checking food labels to determine whether I need to make any changes. I don't buy many processed items so I'm in a good starting position but I will look at the processed items I want to continue using to decide whether I can either make it myself or try to find an better alternative. I haven't defined the wording for the SMART target but this will be my next goal.

That's what I'm carrying on with today, focusing on the items that are in the supermarket delivery. As for the rest of the day, it's the Nutrition Club for an hour this morning, and I will hopefully get to talk to L at some stage. If the weather forecast is accurate it should be dry and sunny so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can get out in the afternoon to take the rest of the photos I need for the WPSH.

Comments

  1. What a good idea listening to an audiobook is to take your mind off the step challenge. The weather is looking promising for today so fingers crossed for taking your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Listening to the book while I walked made a big difference and it didn't feel like exercise! It's dry but not sunny so no good for what I was planning but I'm hoping to get out along the canal anyway.

      Delete
  2. Good for you - what strides you are making!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels like it's all coming together this time and proper lifestyle changes are happening as the new habits are put in place.

      Delete
  3. The audio book is a great idea! It sounds like you are doing really well with your life style changes goals. I hope you have a lovely day and the sun shines brightly. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm listening the free books on the BBS Sounds website which I think may be their 'book at bedtime' archive. These are divided up into 10 or 15 minute episodes which is the ideal length for each bout of walking. I think I'm making real progress with the lifestyle changes now ... as much as anything, I feel that I've reached the right time to do it.

      No sun sadly, but at least it's not raining.

      Delete
  4. Your audiobook solution is brilliant (& you are not dim). I have two books on request at the library & they only came in adutio format, so now you have given me an idea to up my steps. I wish I could get hold of the HP books read by Stephen Fry, now that would get my 10,000 steps in, in a flash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the Stephen Fry audiobooks (bought very cheaply secondhand!) but I listened to them not all that long ago so another re-run is still some time away. I downloaded a free app where clues are revealed as you walk, the aim being to solve the crime. I'll be adding that to my options to listen to as I walk.

      Delete
  5. I use the walking videos because they keep me going at a good-for-me pace. It sounds like you'll enjoy trying some new recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the Leslie Samson videos I can't do all the kicks etc without knee pain so am avoiding them for now. I like trying out new recipes. I don't think I eat enough variety so that's what I am trying to address.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts