Saturday 13th November

So, tolerance testing. In brief, after 12 days of eliminating specific foods we can now start reintroducing them one at a time and the suggestion is to start with wheat as that's one of the five most common causes of food intolerance. The process is to add some wheat at breakfast, then if all is fine try some more wheat as part of your lunch, and then again with dinner - listen to your body and take notice of any symptoms, new or old, and stop immediately if there are any symptoms. Then wait two or three days and avoid wheat on those days, even if there are no obvious symptoms, as it can take that long for problems to become evident. From there, it may be a case of investigating by following the same process to see which form of wheat is the issue, e.g. some people can't eat bread but can eat couscous. We are still avoiding caffeine and red meats to start with but can eventually start adding red meats once a week if everything else has gone well. However, I can't start doing the testing yet. The need for everyone to consult your GP before tackling this, and especially if you have pre-existing health conditions, was stressed over and over again so I will need to contact the surgery on Monday before I think about starting this. I think my doctor is on holiday so won't be able to do anything until I've spoken to him ... it all seems like a bit of an anti-climax but the reaction to reintroducing one or more of the eliminated foods could be severe so I'll wait rather than risk it!

Apart from the two nutrition classes yesterday, I spent most of the afternoon playing the piano. I hadn't intended to but I lost all track of time so today is devoted to making a start on the next lot of decluttering. I did post the parcels, so they're on their way - two sales and one box of items for a quote - and during the evening I made a to-do list which is what I'll start on today. 

It's supposed to be a nice day, not too warm but it should be dry so I'll fit in a walk and get my fill of fresh air. I have a new curry recipe to try for tonight which fits in with the current eating restrictions so I won't need to tweak it at all, and then finish the day watching the Royal British Legion's Festival of Remembrance.

Comments

  1. I hadn't realised you could have a severe reaction reintroducing certain foods, may I ask what symptoms could occur? It sounds very troubling having to consult a doctor too. Good that you relaxed after for the rest of the day and do enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The symptoms could be anything and will vary from person to person - pain, bloating, vomiting, constipation or the opposite (but can't spell it!) are just some examples. On a more serious level it can affect blood pressure and blood sugar balance and trigger problems with those conditions. Years ago when I did some allergy testing and reintroduced beef, which I'd previously eaten regularly I went into shock and needed emergency treatment.

      Hope you have a good weekend too x

      Delete
  2. Reintroducing the restricted items back into the diet seems more complicated than I had imagined! The afternoon of piano playing sounds like fun, though! :) Sounds like the decluttering is coming along, nicely! I've hit a bit of a plateau, right now. Lost that momentum I had going with the new sideboard!
    I hope you have a wonderful day and a good start to your weekend, Eileen. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew it was going to be complicated and take time but I'm prepared for that. I'm keen to get started so will phone the surgery on Monday and try to speak to someone about it.

      The afternoon of piano playing was fun and I enjoyed 'playing' rather than practicing. Back to practicing today though!

      The decluttering tends to go like that doesn't it. Maybe when you finish your birthday celebrations you'll feel more inclined to continue.

      Hope you have a good day too x

      Delete
  3. I hope the reintroduction of food goes well and you can find out what you are intolerant to.

    Spending the afternoon playing the piano sounds a lovely way to pass the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon. I feel so much better after the elimination stage that I'm sure there must be another intolerance lurking somewhere. It'll be good if I can sort it out.

      I felt completely relaxed after playing for the entire afternoon and will hopefully be doing it again.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts