'Ladies That Lunch'

183/365: the sherbet lemon hanging basket
 

I almost bottled out of going to the 'Ladies That Lunch' meal but I forced myself to go and I am so glad that I did. It was a complete success and a definite for the diary on the last Friday of every month (this one was an exception as nobody could make the proper date so it was delayed by a week).

I was anxious about the menu even though I'd advised them of the foods I can't eat when I booked, but my mind was put at ease as soon as I got there. When I checked in, the owner confirmed the allergies and assured me that the menu was suitable for me .... and it was. It was a two-course meal with two choices for each course; chicken or bouillabaisse (fish) for the main course and rhubarb fool or strawberries and shortcake for dessert. I chose the bouillabaisse and the strawberries and my dessert came without cream. I finished off with cafetière of really good quality coffee. The food was excellent, much better quality than I was expecting although the fact that their chef used to work at the Savoy Hotel in London should have told me something! The portion sizes were perfect, just enough rather than the overloaded plates that I find difficult to manage. I'd score the food at 10 out of 10!

It was a small group of ladies this time, just me plus three others, but in a way that was a nice introduction to the group. Everyone was really friendly and I felt at ease straight away. We all had plenty to chat about but I think I have more in common with A and J rather than V. The outcome of all the chat is that I will be meeting with A to arrange some games of scrabble, and J has persuaded me to try the WI in her village ... A may try that out too, and asked if we can arrange to start at the same time and be the new girls together. V is looking to re-join a choir but is considering one that clashes with another of my commitments so I can't join her, and anyway she will be singing a different voice to me so we wouldn't be sitting together. They did however mention the choral group in Melksham which I wasn't aware of and, after looking at their website, appears to be perfect for me but it's not clear from their website whether they have started back post-Covid so I will make contact with them and see what the situation is.

So that's the first thing on my bucket list ticked off. It's going to be a great addition to my diary and the fact that it is only once a month makes it affordable. The best bit is that it has already provided other opportunities for me and will probably continue to do so. 

Comments

  1. That sounds really lovely and a nice little group so you can get to know each other. 10 out of 10 for the food, high praise indeed and I wold have chosen the fish but wouldn't have been able to choose between those two scrumptious desserts :) As it will lead to more social events the meal was a huge success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely 10 out of 10 for the food. V had the rhubarb fool and said it was delicious. I was more than happy with my strawberry choice though.

      I think it will make a big difference to my life, especially if some of the other things like the WI and the Scrabble games work out.

      Delete
  2. What a successful lunch. I bet you are so glad you went. As you say, one a month is perfect, both in terms of time and finance.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was and I am so glad I went. It's a timely reminder of just how easy it is to miss out on opportunities. Once a month will work well and I should be able to arrange M's visits to tend the garden around it.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad that the lunch worked out so well and you've already made new friends and plan to do things with them. Well done, making the effort to go out and mingle. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bless. I am so glad I made the effort to go as it has opened up so many other possibilities for me.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad it was comfortable for you to go to and the food good. I must admit I probably wouldn't go. I hate meeting new people. It literally makes my stomach ache. I have signed up to go to a zoo trip with some fellow online photographers and I'm already fretting about that and it's not until August!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean but I have made myself go to places alone since I lost my partner and it gets easier.

      Good luck with your zoo trip when it happens. I've found that meeting up with others for photography is slightly less stressful because you can always focus on your camera!

      Delete
  5. That is an amazingly successful lunch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! I am so glad I made the effort to go. 😊

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts