Saturday 23rd July

204/365: busy bee!

M was here yesterday and sorted the garden out for me. On closer inspection the plants have survived the excess heat better than I'd thought and all of the wilted ones have perked up already or will do so over the next couple of days. It doesn't look like I've lost any of them. The potato vine has produced its first flowers and the burgundy clematis, which was the plant most affected by the heat, has several new buds.


M also cut down the buddleia in the front garden and has removed the rhododendron to pass on to one of her other clients. The buddleia root ball still has to be removed but it's a job for another day as the clay soil is rock hard! The front garden is now plant free, just covered with gravel, and is a blank canvas for next year.



I spent most of the morning in the garden listening to the bees. They are loving all the flowers but especially the cosmos, which explains all the photos in this post ... just taken with my phone so not the best images.



In the afternoon I had a lovely surprise visit from L, so lots of catching up with what we've both been up to and we've arranged a couple of things for the next two weeks. That's the first spontaneous thing I've done since the Strange Times began in 2020 and it felt great just to have that reminder of how things used to be!



Today S should be coming round to install the IKEA units. We haven't actually said a time so I haven't arranged anything else and will spend the day at home because as soon as he's finished, I'll make a start on putting everything away. I'm still excited about it all!

Comments

  1. Lovely yo see the bees at work in your garden. You will be pleased once the units are installed and have a nice new look in your room, you'll enjoy sorting where everything goes too I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were loads of bees yesterday, it was lovely to see. There were plenty of butterflies too but I wasn't quick enough to catch a good photo with my phone camera.

      S will be round at 11am so the units will definitely be fitted today. I am really looking forward to getting it all sorted. 😀

      Delete
  2. I think they are lovely photos, Eileen, thanks for sharing them.
    What an exciting day - and now your box has arrived too - it all sounds brilliant. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all happening at once! S is installing the units as I write this response and I'm using the first spice kit for tonight's meal! 😀 xx

      Delete
  3. Lovely to see your flowers with our bee friends on them. Seen hardly any bees this year, usually see lots. Hope the heat hasn't done for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The garden has been full of bees since the really hot days so they seem to have survived the heat well.

      Delete
  4. You take lovely phone photos! I enjoyed seeing the bees enjoying themselves feasting on the flowers in your garden. :) Love seeing all the different cosmos flowers, too.
    How wonderful to read in one of your responses that S is putting together your new units and you are using some of the ingredients you received in your cooking/meal kit to make your dinner! Is it the Goan fish curry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I made the Miso Cod today because I'd already taken the fish out of the freezer to make a fish pie
      but changed my mind when the Simply Cook kits arrived. I have a second portion to eat tomorrow.

      The cosmos flowers are lovely this year. I've not seen the striped ones before but think they are really pretty.

      Thanks for your comment on the photos.

      Delete
  5. Lovely cosmos, no wonder the bees couldn't resist.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts