The Dining Room, Stage 1

Let's start with the before picture. There's only one because I didn't think to photograph the room before I started! On the opposite side of the room was the dining table and four chairs, too big for the room and I was continually knocking the table when I walked past it. 


I only have the equivalent of four wall cupboards in the kitchen to store all the food, crockery and kitchen equipment so the bottom of the dresser was used as extra storage. I used the top of the dresser for displaying my treasures (although there was never enough room to show them off properly), a junk drawer (because every home needs one), and the two shelves in the bottom to store the saucepans and tinned food. The need for more storage was the main reason for changing things. I'd originally intended to buy a free standing cupboard to match the dresser but then I saw some photos of a makeover using IKEA Billy bookcases and fell in love with the idea.

So J came round to help me measure up and I ordered the units I wanted ... and then it was all a bit of a whirlwind! Instead of the expected two weeks for delivery IKEA notified delivery for two days later on the Sunday and I hadn't done anything about selling the table, chairs and dresser. I ended up placing the adverts for them on the Saturday, the day before the IKEA delivery, and they both sold within 24 hours of placing the advert ... a huge relief! Once the furniture was gone, all collected on the Sunday, Operation Empty Dining Room didn't take too long at all. Neighbour S came round over the weekend and this is the result of his efforts .... 



206/365: empty cupboards waiting to be filled!


I love it! This week's task is to fill all the cupboards. I have so much more storage now and it's going to be fun sorting everything out, with extra space to display my treasures properly and nine double shelves and six single shelves for food and kitchen equipment. 

Stage 2 will be to buy a new dining table and chairs. I think I've decided which one I want ... it's a small table for two which extends to seat four and won't swamp the room. I only plan to buy two chairs as there are other chairs in the house if they are needed and the two chairs will be enough for my regular needs. It's white with an oak top, to tie the oak bookcase in with the rest of the room ... here's a link if you want to see it. It also ties in with the kitchen's white units and oak worktop. I just have to save up for it now!

Comments

  1. The new unite are very nice and I love the table and chairs, I couldn't resist looking and that will work so well in the room. Have fun putting everything in their rightful place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen. I'm hoping to buy the table and chairs next month so I don't have too long to wait.

      Delete
  2. You have gained a lot of storage/display space! I like how you turned the bookcases into cupboards with the doors! It all fell into place very quickly, didn't it? I like your new table (yes, I took a peek at it!) Have fun putting all your items in place. What fun to have all the storage space you need! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did fall into place very quickly and I feel very lucky to have a lovely new dining room. I spent an hour or so today moving stuff out of the kitchen cupboards into the new ones and I'm at that 'looking worse before it gets better stage'!

      Delete
  3. It looks absolutely splendid. Light, airy and very smart. A brilliant creation and use of storage space. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Joy. It's completely changed the feel of the room ... for the better, obviously!

      Delete
  4. Love all your storage, I do like 'everything in it's place'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marlene, I'm the same. Everything has to have it's own place and I don't like the cupboards to be too crowded either.

      Delete
  5. What wonderful units - Ikea to the solution! The future dining table & chairs is a perfect blend, pull together piece. Nice that your treasures can be displayed behind glass, which keeps them safe but then requires less dusting (always a win in my books). Your previous dresser is something we would call a buffet & hutch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary-Lou. Hopefully next month there will be more photos to show off the table and chairs. Displaying behind glass is a must for me ... I don't like dusting!

      Delete
  6. I like your new units, I bet you will enjoy putting everything in their new homes, I know I would. I think your new table and chairs will tie them together, I had to have a look. I will look forward to seeing the photos when you get them. I am sure the units will make a big difference. I also only have 4 wall cupboard in my kitchen, but make up for it by having 2 sideboards and a Welsh dresser in the lounge and dining room. Helen S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've guessed right ... I am enjoying putting everything in its new home. I'm taking my time and will do a bit every day this week. There will definitely be photos when I get the table and chairs, hopefully next month.

      I would love to have a Welsh dresser and did consider one but it didn't give me enough storage.

      Delete
  7. Oh, the new units are splendid. (Yes, that's my word of the day as I catch up on blog posts.) But they are, nonetheless. You are right that the key to it is having some visible display room as well as the hidden storage. I bet you will really enjoy filling these up both with treasures and essentials. I think you choice of table is splendid as well; yes, I had to go check it out. How nice to tie into the wooden bookcase you are keeping - because you know, I think it is splendid too. Your project is coming along, so your methodical planning and purchasing patience is paying off. Well done you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts